We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in Santa Barbara?

chicago, il
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay in Santa Barbara?

We are planning a trip to Santa Barbara. I had wanted to stay at the Four Seasons, but I have been told that it's under construction. Does anyone know the construction makes it really noisy or is pretty unobtrusive? If so, any recommendations? Thanks!

work
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: where to stay in Santa Barbara?

My husband and I with our 2 children (1 and 8 yr.old) will be visiting Santa Barbara for he first time in June or August. We want to stay in a beachside resort that's clean, not too old and not over priced. Can anyone recommend such a hotel (not a bed n breakfast)? We plan on spending time on the beach and the zoo, and hopefully some nearby parks. Thanks.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: where to stay in Santa Barbara?

Utah and Taylor:

Ok, I live in Santa Barbara, so I've never stayed in any of the hotels here. I can only give you my thoughts on the location and look of the hotels from the outside. Here are my standards. If I'm trying to show my girlfriend a good time, I'll look for a hotel that is architecturally interesting and/or romantic, but I usually avoid the hotels over $230 a night - too rich for me. Then there are the hotels which are fine, but aren't necessarily that interesting architecturally - I'll stay in these hotels when I'm traveling on business, or trying to save money, etc. Finally, there are the hotels that are just plain ugly, or run-down - I'll avoid those.

So, to respond to Utah's question:

The Inn at the Spanish Garden is a very romantic looking hotel. It appeared to be a smallerish hotel, might be a quiet area. I would easily book this place for a romantic weekend. It is located in downtown SB, 2 blocks off lower State St - one of our main tourist sections and perhaps the shopping section, and 1 block off Carrillo St - one of the main access streets to downtown. I wouldn't be put off by "downtown" though, as our downtown is basically, charming - not many builidings over 4 stories.

The Harbor View Inn is a good looking, recently remodeled hotel - not as romantic as Spanish, but still impressive, especially the location - right across the street from the beach and the wharf - the main tourist section of SB. The beach was beautiful today. The Harbor Inn's location, for me, gives it an advantage over the Spanish Inn. Romantic or beach side location? Tough call.

Trip Advisor ranks these hotels 1 and 3 respectively, so they probably are very nice hotels. I don't think you can lose if you can afford them. (Some of the TA critiques, though, were sour on the value for the money. One reviewer didn't like the view from the HVI. Ehhh, I might be easier to please and not that scroogey.)

Now, for Taylor's question:

There are LOTS of hotels in the beach area. All our beachfront hotels are located across the street from the beach on Cabrillo St.

I would say that you might want to check on the Cabrillo Inn at the Beach. They had a sign in the window - $79. Hard to beat the price, considering the location, and they had a pool. (Hope it's not too much of a come-on.) It appeared they had a lot of rooms with good views of the beach. I liked it the way it looked from the outside - it was relatively interesting architecturally - kind of a Cape Cod look. If I was trying to save money on a beachfront hotel I would definitely stop to check it out.

There was also the Santa Barbara Inn in this area. It looks like a nice hotel, lots of balconies, has the Citronelle restaraunt, might be less expensive, but I dunno.

In this section of the beach are the Radisson and the Doubletree hotels. The Doubletree is higher end, and a very good looking hotel. Its luxury gets it placed in the romantic category. But the architecture isn't as romantic as the Inn of the Spanish Garden. The Radisson is also a nice hotel, with lots of beachview patio rooms, but there probably are some less expensive places on the beachfront.

Then there are the hotels that are one street behind the beachfront on Orilla del Mar or other streets. There is even a Motel 6 on this street - it gets a business trip designation, but because it's in the SB beach neighborhood, it would be a option.

The other section of Cabrillo St with hotels is west of State St. The Harbor View Inn is the top end hotel on this side. There are a number of other nice, less expensive looking hotels here too. I didn't keep track of all the hotels on this side, it was getting dark as I drove this section. Let me know if you all would like to know the options over here. But I did remember one hotel, because of how boring it looked - The Best Western, which is at the corner of Cabrillo and Castillo St. Its saving grace may be that it had a lot of rooms with balconies that faced the beach.

So, there you go. Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
693 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: where to stay in Santa Barbara?

Just wanted to Say We stayed at the Santa Barbara Inn last November and it was plain AWFUL. Probably one of the worst hotels i have ever stayed inn. The restuarant which came HIGHLY recommened was Rubbish. PLEASE save your money (as its not cheap to stay and eat there) and go somewhere nicer, it really ruined that part of our trip.

Hope this helps

Asha