We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location to stay in Santa Barbara

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Location to stay in Santa Barbara

I need some advise on which location is better in SB - 2 blocks from beach/sand and main downtown street in Historic West Beach Area - or in a residential neighborhood 10 minutes up above Santa Barbara Mission? We can rent a brand new beautiful penthouse apartment in town where we can walk to everything, or a place up high with a view but have to drive to everything. Also does anyone have an opinion on a private place with kitchen, patio, living area - versus a hotel? MShug

california
Level Contributor
374 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location to stay in Santa Barbara

Hi there,

I'd definitely advise the beach location, for several reasons.

The neighborhood above the mission might be lovely, but it will be a slight hassle for you to get down into town and you'll have to worry about parking.

If you stay at the beach, you'll be within easy walking distance of so much more, including actual restaurants and coffee places.

Parking can be a slight nightmare in town duirng summer and the last thing you want is to worry about finding a spot or having to run around and move your car after 90 minutes because all the downtown lots are full.

Regarding a hotel vs private apt....my feeling has always been that, while the private apts are nice (esp. if you're staying a long time and want to do your own laundry, etc.) consider that the whole point of being away is to get out and enjoy yourself, let someone make the bed, etc. Also, you have to decide if you're going to actually use the kitchen, and I think unless you're planning to be here a long time, then you probably will be overwhelmed with options for great places to eat, anyway....

I'm a local, so please let me know if you have any specific questions.

Hope I helped a little....

Dallas
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Location to stay in Santa Barbara

Frogs93013 - Thank you for your help. I agree about the hotel vs the apt but all of the good hotels seem to be already booked. I planned this trip a little late.

Houston
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location to stay in Santa Barbara

Fess Parker Doubletree

california
Level Contributor
374 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location to stay in Santa Barbara

Mshug,

You've probably already tried these places, but just in case....

Inn of the Spanish Garden

Upham Hotel

Secret Garden Inn (the cottages here are better than the regular rooms...)

Simpson House Inn

Have a good time no matter where you stay!