We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for trip in mid-July, hotel and restaurants.

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for trip in mid-July, hotel and restaurants.

I will be booking two nights in Santa Barbara for my mom and myself. We have been to Santa Barbara but not overnight and have not really explored it much. It will most likely be during the week in July.

Ideally, I'd like to stay in a place where I won't have to drive at all or very often. We enjoy shopping and I am a CA Mission nut. We won't be packing in tons of activities during the day... just browsing the area and relaxing. I heard there is a botanical zoo?

For restaurants, we like something quiet and quaint for breakfast-- preferably a good value. Cuisines we like for dinner are Mexican, Italian, and general CA cuisine (no Indian or Asian).

Any help would be welcome, thank you!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for trip in mid-July, hotel and restaurants.

Any of the hotels near the pier(check this forum) are good locations where you can walk to most places. The Fess Parker is located a little further down the beach but walkable. Also, in the downtown the Hotel Santa Barbara which is located on State Street is right in the center of the shopping district and really quite nice(no pool).

The Mission ann the botanical Zoo(close to Fess Parker) are not

walkable but close enogh for short drive.

There are many restaurants along and nearby State street and near the pier which are walkable,also.

Enjoy!!

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for trip in mid-July, hotel and restaurants.

The Mission and the Botanic Garden are accessbile by MTD bus line 22 everyday to the Mission and the Botanic Garden on the weekends. The Botanic Garden is not located next to Fess Parker's Doubletree Resort. The Child's Estate Zoo is located next to the Doubletree. Both the Botanic Garden and the Zoo, separate institutions, are highly recommended.

During the day, you will want to get to know the shuttle buses which cruise up and down State St, and back and forth along Cabrillo Ave for only a quarter. Bring some change, because the bus doesn't give change.

Santa Barbara County has two additional missions at Santa Ynez and Lompoc (La Purisima).

We have quite the selection of restaurants. Our favorites include Los Arroyos or Rose's on the Mesa for Mexican; Tratorria Vittoria or Ca' Dario for Italian; Elements, Louie's, Downey's, Wine Cask, and Sage & Onion for CA cuisine; and Cajun Kitchen (the original de la Vina location) for breakfast.

The areas to stay are west beach, east beach, downtown, and upper and middle State St. West Beach, downtown, and middle State St. will be closest for walking. If no one gives you suggestions, I will give you a few later...

CA
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for trip in mid-July, hotel and restaurants.

Thank you so much! Though I'd love to stay at Fess Parker's because I'm a Davy Crocket fan, the price is not appropriate for my budget. I was hoping to stay somewhere for just shy of $200 a night. I don't mind taking public transporation, as long as it is easily accessible from where I'm staying-- I'm expecting a baby in November and won't be able to do a lot of walking for very long, especially in hot weather.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for trip in mid-July, hotel and restaurants.

The west beach area is an ideal place for tourist lodging. The beach, harbor, wharf, and State Street are all nearby. There are plenty of lodging options. Two mid-range options I suggest are the Eagle Inn or the Villa Rosa Inn.

State Street is our main street with most of the shopping and restaurants. There are 3 hotels worth mentioning in the downtown district - the Holiday Inn Express (Hotel Virginia), the Hotel Santa Barbara, and the Hotel Andalucia. The Andalucia will cost you. The Hotel Santa Barbara is not cheap either.

Then at the other end of downtown are the hotels at mid State Street. This will be in the vicinity of Mission Ave (which leads to the Mission) at the 1600 plus block of State St. One of the first hotels in this block is the El Prado Inn. Not fancy, but it does have a nice pool, and reasonable (for Santa Barbara) prices. The cheapest hotels are out this way and you could walk to the Mission from the El Prado.

Unfortunately, Santa Barbara lodging is overpriced. But I hope you enjoy your stay nonetheless.

CA
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for trip in mid-July, hotel and restaurants.

Thank you so much for your great suggestions!

Level Contributor
34,451 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for trip in mid-July, hotel and restaurants.

The Harbor View Inn is very nice, right across the street from Stearn's Wharf. Check out Olie e Limone for your Italian dinner. For fine dining, the Wine Cask is very nice, there is also a casual venue adjacent to the Wine Cask called Intermezzo where you can wine taste and enjoy a meal. Have fun in Santa Barbara! :)

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for trip in mid-July, hotel and restaurants.

any of the motels along upper State are ok, nothing 4 star. There was a Best Western which was little more upscale, near the B of A and almost across from the La Cumbre Mall.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for trip in mid-July, hotel and restaurants.

Since you don't want to drive, the hotels need the water or near lower state street will be more convenient that the upper state street hotels. In addition to the open air busses along cabrillo and state, bus 22 is a good one to get to the mission, gardens, and natural history museum if you are interested.

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for trip in mid-July, hotel and restaurants.

the best new hotel is the Andalusia. It is the tallest hotel in SB hotel with a rooftop pool/spa deck. It is right in the center of the city within walking distance of all the shopping. Its not walking distance to the beach but it is in a great location but is expensive. it's similar to a NY business themed hotel.