We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

John Wayne airport (SNA) vs. San Diego Int'l (SAN)

Which Santa Ana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Luis Rey...
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
John Wayne airport (SNA) vs. San Diego Int'l (SAN)

I'm traveling to DFW in a few weeks and am trying to decide which airport to fly from. I'l be leaving from Vista and online it seems about the same time as far as driving is concerned, but SNA is about $100 cheaper. Which would be better heading N or S to the airport?

Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: John Wayne airport (SNA) vs. San Diego Int'l (SAN)

How do you plan to get to the airport?

Rental Car - I would go for the lower fare

Public Transporation - then San Diego, take the Breeze Light Rail to the Oceanside Train Station, then a train to Downtown San Diego, and then an easy bus from the Santa Fe Station to the Lindbergh Field Airport (SAN).

Your own car - then take into consideration the parking fees, if you find "Long-term" Parking I would go with the lower fare.

San Luis Rey...
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: John Wayne airport (SNA) vs. San Diego Int'l (SAN)

I'm driving my car and a friend will store it at their home, so parking fees are not an issue. The flight leaves around 1100, so that's mid day, right? Would traffic be just as bad in either location? I keep hearing that "CA traffic is bad no matter where you go", etc.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: John Wayne airport (SNA) vs. San Diego Int'l (SAN)

Save the money and leave out of SNA. It is a small airport. People certainly over state the traffic problems here. Much of the day traffic is not bad unless there is an accident.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: John Wayne airport (SNA) vs. San Diego Int'l (SAN)

SNA is an easy airport to fly in and out from-have flown similar time to you to DFW before no problems-it's my second favourite airport after CLD

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,168 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: John Wayne airport (SNA) vs. San Diego Int'l (SAN)

SNA would make more sense - its a smaller airport than SAN and should be a bit easier and quicker. The only reason I wouldn't is if the flight from SNA stopped somewhere but the flight from SAN were non-stop.

Corona del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
48,868 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: John Wayne airport (SNA) vs. San Diego Int'l (SAN)

Assuming you are using your own car, I'd go to SNA. Depending on when the flight is (and I'll assume it is an AM flight heading to DFW, SNA should have better traffic and SAN has a ton of construction going on.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
22,833 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: John Wayne airport (SNA) vs. San Diego Int'l (SAN)

Ill assume the OP made a decision already given the fact this thread was started 2 years ago.

Corona del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
48,868 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: John Wayne airport (SNA) vs. San Diego Int'l (SAN)

Hey... they could be a picky planner....

how is the thread even alive after two years of no activity???

San Luis Rey...
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: John Wayne airport (SNA) vs. San Diego Int'l (SAN)

scottca075, I just thought the same thing-this thread is still open? Maybe TripAdvisor likes me LOL. Totally forgot about this thread, so thanks for the feedback all! I normally leave from SAN to head to DFW, but will remember that SNA is a valid option too. Thanks again

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
128 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: John Wayne airport (SNA) vs. San Diego Int'l (SAN)

Love sna easy as my little town airport just jumping into the loop