We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Driving Route from Las Vegas to Pacific Coast/San Fran

Which San Simeon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Best Driving Route from Las Vegas to Pacific Coast/San Fran

Hi,

We are planning to drive from Las Vegas to San Francisco via the Pacific Coast Highway and the associated sights etc..

I guess we could drive back in through LA to the coast and then drive all the way up but that might be overkill and too much traffic, waste of time etc..

It seems that heading North the first major sight is at San Simeon so I just wanted to know the best/most efficient route to take while still getting the best experience on the coast ? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Ken

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Driving Route from Las Vegas to Pacific Coast/San Fran

>> Hope this makes sense. <<

Sorry I didn't quite get it. Exactly what was your question?

There are only 3 (maybe 4) major routes between LA and San Francisco. I-5, Highway 101 and Highway 1. 4 if you count 99 as well. Part of 101 and 1 overlap in certain areas.

I-5 is the straight, boring one. But it gets you from LA to San Francisco fast. If you want the scenic route, take 101 + 1. You can take 1 all the way up north and repeat it coming down. Or take mostly 101 up then 1 down.

RE: first major sight is at San Simeon

I would disagree with that. San Simeon may be more well know outside of USA because of Hearst Castle. There are many coastal cities along that route before reaching San Simeon. Of course they may or may not interest you. Starting from Santa Monica: Malibu, Oxnard/Ventura, Santa Barbara. Solvang, Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay: all south of San Simeon. A few of the 21 California Missions are along this former El Camino Real. Depends on if you care to visit any of these sites.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Driving Route from Las Vegas to Pacific Coast/San Fran

Welcome to the forum.

How long do you have for this trip and what time of year? Do you want to make a loop Vegas-Vegas?

3. Re: Best Driving Route from Las Vegas to Pacific Coast/San Fran

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, June 22, 2013