We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kibblesmom and others - advice please San Fran to LA drive

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kibblesmom and others - advice please San Fran to LA drive

The advice from you lot is fantastic.

Fine tuning our girls road trip mid May, leaving San Fran Saturday 16th, driving to Yosemite and custom camping at Evergreen for the night. Next day driving to Monterey, staying a night, not booked yet. (Budget $100 - $150 per night double room - our $ is only half of yours - ouch!)

Next day drive south, probably leaving around 10am. Hoping to see the McWay Falls, and the Seal Rookery and if its a good day pick up a picnic at Sebastians (or eat there) at San Simeon. Am thinking about booking a 2.30 ish tour at Hearst, am I in the ball park regarding timing?? Would also like a look at Cambria (before or after Hearst) before heading onto SLO or Pismo for the night. Kibblesmom, you're an expert on Pismo, would you recommend a night here over SLO. Looking at the Pismo Lighthouse Suites. Next day drive to LA spending the middle of the day in Santa Barbara.

Thanks for your help, and to others who've helped out with other postings.

PS Wouldn't mind a quiet night at Pismo cos we will have danced the night away at Sly McFlys in Monterey the night before.

Level Contributor
35,953 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kibblesmom and others - advice please San Fran to LA drive

We just spent the weekend in Shell Beach which is very close to Pismo, it's great being right by the ocean. We stayed at the Cliffs Resort which was wonderful, we drove into Pismo for an afternoon at the pier and meals at Steamers and the Cooked Crab. www.centralcoast.com is a nice website for this area. Have fun! :)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,590 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kibblesmom and others - advice please San Fran to LA drive

Hmmm

Your trip kind of looks exhausting to me. Only 1 night at Yosemite after a 4-5 hour drive from SF? Same for Monterey from Yosemite.

By the time you arrive in these locations after a day of driving you really won't have much time for "seeing" much of anything.

But if this is what you want to do... it's your trip.

Your Hearst tour time looks okay for a Monterey departure time of 10am.

Lodging choices for Monterey:

Monterey Bay Lodge

Monterey Beach Resort (non-view room)

Andril Cottages (Pacific Grove)

Clarion Hotel

La Quinta Inn

Sand Dollar Inn

I really like Pismo Lighthouse Suites. You'll love the large rooms and having two bathrooms.

If you opt for San Luis Obispo:

Embassy Suites

Radisson

Holiday Inn

Sands Suites and Hotel

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kibblesmom and others - advice please San Fran to LA drive

There are also some really cute little places to stay in Cayucos.

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kibblesmom and others - advice please San Fran to LA drive

Thanks everyone, I'll check out all thoses suggestions. Kibblesmom, its not really how we 'want' to do our trip, I guess the easy way would have been to fly San Fran to LA but at least this way we get to experience more of California. Ideally I'd love to stay everywhere until I was ready to move on to the next place, but that won't be this trip unfortunately.

Another thought, we could stay in Cambria for the third night. We could still do Cambria to LA in a day and spend 4 or 5 hours in Santa Monica and other pitstops, couldn't we?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,590 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kibblesmom and others - advice please San Fran to LA drive

Cambria certainly is an option. Cambria Pines Lodge would be a good choice with your group. It's located in a forested setting just above the East Village of town where lots of yummy restaurants, coffee & ice cream houses and adorable shops are located.

Pismo Beach caters to the young crowd, though, and might be a better choice.

Of course, you could opt for the very funky Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo where they have dancing on Monday nights. Although you might be tuckered out from Sly McFly's a few nights before. ;-)

Have fun deciding!

Level Contributor
35,953 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kibblesmom and others - advice please San Fran to LA drive

If you want an oceanfront resort, the Best Western Cavalier in San Simeon would a good option. There is also the Fireside Inn in Cambria where we have enjoyed stays, right across the street from Moonstone Beach in Cambria. :)

7. Re: Kibblesmom and others - advice please San Fran to LA drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, October 20, 2009