We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long would it take to get from SFO to San Simeon?

Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How long would it take to get from SFO to San Simeon?

We leave SFO about 8am and stay in San Simeon the night.

How long would a leisurely drive take?

How long would it take the next day to get from San simeon to Anaheim.

It it true there is not as much to see from Pismo Beach to LA as there is to see from SFO to Pismo Beach?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long would it take to get from SFO to San Simeon?

How long would a leisurely drive take? If you take Highway 1 (suggest 101 to San Jose, then 17 to 1) you should have time to take a tour of Hearst Castle in the late afternoon or evening, see www.hearstcastle.com

How long would it take the next day to get from San simeon to Anaheim? Again, you can do this is under a day.

It it true there is not as much to see from Pismo Beach to LA as there is to see from SFO to Pismo Beach? Yes, assuming you are taking Highway 1 from Monterey to San Simeon, and assuming you are referring to coastal scenery. There are major attractions south of Pismo, including Santa Barbara and the Reagan Library in Simi Valley.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How long would it take to get from SFO to San Simeon?

aussie_gal_0 asked «How long would a leisurely drive take?»

You could make it in fewer than five hours but it would be a shameful thing to do. Make it a twelve hour trip by following the DRIVING DIRECTIONS at the TouringSFO site at http://geocities.com/touringsfo/ as augmented by the report "A Trip to Anaheim…"

«How long would it take the next day to get from San simeon to Anaheim.»

About five hours but I'd allow six.

«It it true there is not as much to see from Pismo Beach to LA as there is to see from SFO to Pismo Beach?»

Yes, it's true but that doesn't mean there isn't much to see. I particularly like the Gaviota Gap and the views of the ocean as one approaches lovely Santa Barbara.

Don't miss the Santa Barbara County Courthouse.

You'll be in Monterey too early for dinner at Monterey's Fish House but maybe they serve earlier than I've ever been by there.

Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long would it take to get from SFO to San Simeon?

Thanks for your help..

I am mainly trying to gauge how long it would take to get to San Simeon so I know if I should purchase tickets to Hearst castle that afternoon or the next morning.

I don't want to rush, i know that it could be done over a much longer period but would like to enjoy the scenary.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long would it take to get from SFO to San Simeon?

OH, if you want to see Hearst Castle, I would definitely make your tour reservations for the first tour on the NEXT day, then you will not have to rush. You want to be able to enjoy the coast of Big Sur and stop where you want. Nepenthe is a restaurant high on the cliffs. If it is not lunch time, stop anyway and climb to the top an have a coffee. There are waterfalls in Julia Pfeiffer State Park, etc. etc. do some research and take your time.

The drive the next day to Anaheim will pale by what you have been through on the Big Sur Coast, so you can speed along. Yes, it is true.

St Paul, Mn
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How long would it take to get from SFO to San Simeon?

I have bitten off more than I can chew. I know.

However, If I leave SF at 3:00, do you think I could make the 8:10 night tour at Hearst by going SF to Monterey to Hearst?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long would it take to get from SFO to San Simeon?

I don't think you would have a very good day, worrying about keeping a schedule. I would still advise you to make a reservation for the first tour the next morning. The drive to Anaheim will be fast, except for traffic, and you won't be as tempted to stop and explore as you will in the Big Sur area. There are waterfalls to see, and short hikes, and etc.

St Paul, Mn
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How long would it take to get from SFO to San Simeon?

Thank you Puter. We are unable to get the Best Western Cavalier on the night we want to be there, so by default we may slowww things down and stay a bit north and take the early morning tour.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long would it take to get from SFO to San Simeon?

Where is the Best Western Cavalier Inn? I don't find it in my AAA Guide in either San Simeon or Cambria where most people stay for a morning tour of the Castle. Have you tried some of the motels on Moonstone Beach in Cambria? I think you will not find too many motels, if any, north of these two towns.

Do a search in the upper left hand box on this page with keywords, maybe Moonstone Beach Cambria. or...

www.cambria-online.com

Oh, I found the Best Western Cavalier, by googling. Looks good, sorry they are full, but people love the Moonstone Beach area of Cambria.

Good luck, and DO take your time down the Big Sur Coast.

9. Re: How long would it take to get from SFO to San Simeon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, September 22, 2009