We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is best night route Cambria/Morro Bay to Burlingame

Which San Simeon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
fort worth, texas
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Which is best night route Cambria/Morro Bay to Burlingame

Hello,

Our SF trip is back on, and has been revised.

We'll drive from Burlingame to Monterey, see the aquarium, then drive Hwy 1 to San Simeon and spend the night.

The next day, we'll see the castle, drive to Cambria (and possibly Morro Bay, depending on time,) then back to Burlingame.

Which return route would be best when traveling at night?

Thanks,

Pamela7

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
23,657 posts
5,371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is best night route Cambria/Morro Bay to Burlingame

I would suggest driving from Cambria to Highway 101 and taking Highway 101 back. (This is the route we take many times and is much better than taking the windy and often slow Highway 1 route which is not a great road to drive at night.). Highway 101 will be just fine. Enjoy your trip.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is best night route Cambria/Morro Bay to Burlingame

The 101 is a good choice. However, if you head back up Hwy 1 to just south of Cambria, you can take Hwy 46 into Paso Robles and pick up the 101 north there. The 46 is only a 20 mile road to Paso and is comfortably wide enough to drive on. It will also save you about 40 minutes from having to drive into San Luis Obispo and up and over the Cuesta Grade, which is awful enough during daylight hours, let alone at night.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is best night route Cambria/Morro Bay to Burlingame

I gave you this route based on your visiting Morro Bay. If you leave from San Simeon, you'll head south and turn left on Hwy 46 (AKA: Green Valley Road)

I wondered what happened to you. Are you staying at the Sands In San Simeon? I checked them out for you... did you catch my post when I posted it? Looks good to me. VERY close to the ocean and beach access a stones throw away.

Have a great trip!

fort worth, texas
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is best night route Cambria/Morro Bay to Burlingame

Hi Kibblesmom,

I'm sorry that I did not respond earlier, but

I had a medical emergency that I thought would cancel our trip.

But my situation has improved, and the trip is on again; however we leave in one week!

Now I'm feverishly trying to sort out the details.

Yes, I did see your post with the info on the Sands. You were so kind so check it out for me.

Since then, I've found an even better extended stay rate at our Burlingame hotel. So, with the extra savings, we opted for the Best Western. My daughter was excited about the fireplace in the room, and the fire pits on the beach. Hmmm...pyromania?

I will be asking more questions tomorrow. I'm supposed to get my rest (ha!), so its off to bed.

just wanted to let you know that I was back, and that I appreciate all your help.

Goodnight,

Pamela7

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is best night route Cambria/Morro Bay to Burlingame

I'm so sorry to hear you've been ill. I hope you're on the mend and glad you'll be out to visit us here on our beautiful coast. Congrats on getting in the BW. You are going to love this property. It's right next to the ocean so you should be able to enjoy hearing the waves as you go to sleep.

Take care, Pamela. And have a safe trip!

6. Re: Which is best night route Cambria/Morro Bay to Burlingame

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 04, 2009