We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwy advice, please: round trip SF/San Simeon.

fort worth, texas
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Hwy advice, please: round trip SF/San Simeon.

Hello,

Since we will be traveling from Burlingame straight to Hearst Castle (not even stopping to check into our hotel), I thought that we should take what appears to be a faster route by way of hwy 101.

I assume that it will be faster than the coastal highway, considering the fog and traffic variables. We just wouldn't be able to enjoy the scenery along the way due to the uncertainty of making it to the castle on time.

Ten years ago I made the mistake of driving from San Diego to Los Angeles by way of hwy 5, so that my then six year old daughter could see the ocean. And she certainly saw it. She could have walked beside the car the whole way!

We plan to enjoy the scenic route on the way back, when we have more time. By the way, this will be a Monday-Tuesday round trip, if the day of the week is a factor.

However, its been advised that we travel the coastal highway to Cambria from Monteray (if I understand correctly), instead of the reverse , as we have planned for the return trip.

So, I'd appreciate any opinions on the subject.

Thanks,

Pamela7

Mentioned in this post
Hearst Castle
Hearst Castle
5,879 Reviews
San Simeon, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Cambria
Cambria
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,448 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hwy advice, please: round trip SF/San Simeon.

Hi Pamela

Since you're traveling directly from Burlingame to Hearst Castle, I recommend the 101. It will be faster for you.

The only reason others are telling you to take the 1 down is because the ocean views are better going down. No worries, though. You can use your return trip to enjoy the drive up by taking advantage of the vista point turn-outs.

Be sure you don't confuse Hwy 46 east with Hwy 46 west when you arrive in Paso Robles. You want 46 west south of Paso Robles to get to the 1. 46 west will end at the 1. Turn right and you'll be approx. 13 miles from Hearst Castle.

Mentioned in this post
Hearst Castle
Hearst Castle
5,879 Reviews
San Simeon, CA
Paso Robles
Paso Robles
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,978 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hwy advice, please: round trip SF/San Simeon.

I agree with kibblesmom. Have a great trip. You will not miss much of the views driving north on Hwy 1 since it is a two lane road with lots of turnouts.

And the driver should not be negotiating the turns and the road an gazing at the sea at the same time, right?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
340 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hwy advice, please: round trip SF/San Simeon.

I did the r/t from San Francisco to San Simeon last year. I drove the coast on the way down and 101 back to San Francisco. I don't think that it should make much of a difference. If you are going to be getting out of the car to make stops and see things anyway I would not be worried about it. I did the driving down the coast and no, I could not look at the ocean and keep my eyes on the turns at the same time!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Orlando, Fl.
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hwy advice, please: round trip SF/San Simeon.

Pamela7,

How long did the drive from San Francisco to San Simeon take you driving the coast. We will be there in Sept and plan doing the same drive.

Thanks,

LLKoolj40

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Orlando, Fl.
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hwy advice, please: round trip SF/San Simeon.

How long did the drive from San Francisco to San Simeon take you driving the coast. We will be there in Sept and plan doing the same drive.

Thanks,

LLKoolj40

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,448 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hwy advice, please: round trip SF/San Simeon.

San Simeon via coastal route Hwy 1from SF is a good 7 hour drive without stops.

The 101 route to Hwy 46 west to Hwy 1 north to San Simeon is about 4 hours without stops.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hwy advice, please: round trip SF/San Simeon.

How long is the drive along the coast from San Simeon to Monterey?

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,105 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hwy advice, please: round trip SF/San Simeon.

Take 101 down to San Simeon. It's much faster, but it is a long drive. It sounds like you are spending the night there. Good idea. Then - and only then - decide whether you want to take Highway 1 back to Burlingame. You may decide not to take the coastal route (Hwy 1) when you realize how long it will take. If you have other activities that take you to the coastline - you may opt out and zip back to the SFran area.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,448 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hwy advice, please: round trip SF/San Simeon.

San Simeon to Monterey takes approx. 3 hours without stops... give or take.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hwy advice, please: round trip SF/San Simeon.

Those time references are helpful. I used Mapquest and it thinks you can travel a lot faster than actual. How long might it take to get from San Simeon/Cambria to LAX? Thanks. Marlyne

Mentioned in this post
Cambria
Cambria