We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Death Valley to SLO

8 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Death Valley to SLO

My husband and I are taking a belated honeymoon - married in March - and doing a two week road trip starting on 26 August.

In the second week we will be driving from Death Valley to the central coast and then wanting to drive the rest of the way on Pacific Coast Highway to San Fran. Just wondered how long the journey would be from Death Valley to San Luis Obispo - we also will only have three days to get back up to SF - is this feesible?

Thanks for your help!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Death Valley to SLO

I don't know the timing from the desert to SLO, but from SLO to SF, it's approx. 4 hours on highway 101. Coast highway would probably add another hour or 2 - I haven't done the coast highway cause it takes so long (unless you want to go see Hearst Castle, Big Sur, Monterey, etc.). Just don't be in a rush : )

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Death Valley to SLO

The trip between Death Valley and San Luis Obispo will probably consume the better part of one day. The two larger highways you will be on (or are likely to be on) are Hwy. 58 and Hwy. 99. They are heavily used by trucks and you will need to travel through Bakersfield. West of the 99, Hwy 46 is modern, the rest are narrow and slow. San Luis Obispo is worth a visit itself, along with the wineries, Hearst Castle (the Ranch), et al. One day to drive up Hwy 1, the Pacific Coast Highway is also do-able and also slow. Stopping in Monterey is proably a good idea, provided it is not on a weekend night, making hotel arrangements difficult. Have a great trip!

San Luis Obispo, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Death Valley to SLO

You will probably want some coastal breezes after leaving Death Valley. It will take you about 7.5 hrs. from Death Valley to San Luis Obispo area - that's the legal time. I can drive it in 6.5.

If you're driving up the coast, I would suggest staying on the coast. Baywood Inn Bed & Breakfast is a great place to stay and breakfast is included in your room charge. (805) 528-8888. www.baywoodinn.com I think you can book a room on line. Upstairs rooms have great sunsets, but you see the bay from every room. Terrific little coffee house across the street; wonderful pizza down the street. Stay away from the Mexican Bistro! You can have dinner at a fabulous new restaurant next door, Papillon (which also serves the Inn's breakfast). The restaurant is getting rave reviews. You can dress comfortably for dinner but the food is upscale and absolutely delicious. If you go, tell them "Barbara" sent you - I spend way too much time there! :-) Grace Wingett is the manager.

If you get to Los Osos by 5:30 or 6:00, drive out to Montana del Oro and walk along the cliffs hanging over the ocean - absolutely stunning!

The drive up the coast from Morro Bay to SF is approx 250 miles BUT it will take you about 5 hrs - without stopping and you know you're going to stop! The inn is on the back part of Morro Bay, in Los Osos which is very quiet. Morro Bay, itself, is extremely busy this time of year - too many people and difficult to park. However, Morro Bay is worth a visit - nice harbor - beautiful dunes, etc. On your way into Morro Bay, take the State Park turn off - it's a nice drive. You can rent Kayaks in Morro Bay which is lovely to do - if the tide is up and the wind is down! :-) Stop at the Nibble Nook to buy sandwiches for your trip. It's in the shopping center on Quintana - great sandwiches, soups, etc. Everyone knows where it is - just ask some locals.

Cambria is a beautiful, artistic town - you can walk through the town in 1-2 hours. Good restaurants here if you didn't buy those sandwiches.

Moonstone Beach - nice & restaurants - nothing else ; but take the scenic route so you see it.

San Simeon: nice little beach; are you stopping at the Castle?

Ragged Point - Beautiful Vistas - nothing else

Gordo: Monastary - which you'll never find!

Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park

Monterey & Santa Cruz - if you have time, so to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk - you won't believe the people you'll see! Ride the Roller Coaster. I think it's one of only 2 existing wooden roller coasters left and it is fantastic!!!!

Spend the Night in Big Sur or Monterey - rooms are hard to get in these areas.

To answer your question - yes, 3 days will do!

Good luck & enjoy your trip!

4. Re: Driving from Death Valley to SLO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, August 16, 2009