We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere good to visit in Central Coast/comments on my plan

Which San Luis Obispo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere good to visit in Central Coast/comments on my plan

We are planning a trip to California. I am thinking we will stay two nights in Pacific Grove so that we can see Monterey, Carmel, 17-mile drive. Then we will drive down the Big Sur and stay one night in Cambria. We then have one more night to play with before heading back up to San Francisco so I thought maybe visiting somewhere in the Cental Coast other than Cambria. Any suggestions? I am happy to receive any comments on my above itinerary. As it is now we have 3 full days dedicated to the above along with any thing else we add. If anyone thinks 3 days along the coast is too much, alternative would be just two, feel free to comment.

thanks for the help!!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,888 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere good to visit in Central Coast/comments on my plan

There is no need to change hotels from Cambria. You can easily visit other Central Coast areas from Cambria, as most everything is within an hour's drive.

These include:

Paso Robles wine country (25 minutes away)

Morro Bay (20 minutes away)

San Luis Obispo (35 minutes away)

Pismo Beach (45 minutes away)

Monterey
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere good to visit in Central Coast/comments on my plan

I think you have a good plan. Some places to see while in the Carmel /Monterey area are .... Pt. Lobos State Reserve (worth the entry fee --spend a couple hours exploring this gem). depending on time of the year --take a whale watching trip, 4 hrs Jan/Feb/March or mid July- August are best months for whales. Pacific Grove is a good place to stay, rent a bike and take the bike path along the coast. Wine tasting is in Carmel Valley and Carmel by the sea has a historical Mission from early CA history... and lots of shops and galleries to explore.

Just south of Cambria is Hearst Castle in San Simeon. May or may not be of interest to you but it is a Castle American style. Not like the castles one sees in Europe. I like to recommend Montana de Oro State Park near San Luis Obispo.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
266 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere good to visit in Central Coast/comments on my plan

I second Montana de Oro. I never get tired of going there. Morro Bay with the bay and rock are great to see and San Luis Obispo does have a wine country too in Edna Valley.

I grew up camping for a month at a time over summers and one of my favorite places in CA is Big Sur especially the campground at Pfieffer Big Sur State Park. There is a nice hike to a waterfall that is only a mile or so if you had time.

Enjoy!

Susan

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere good to visit in Central Coast/comments on my plan

Maureen,

We just returned from five nights at Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort in Avila Beach, about 10 miles southwest of San Luis Obispo. It's a great base for exploring the area. Pismo Beach is just to the south and the city of SLO is within easy reach, as is beautiful Montana de Oro State Park.

The resort is family-friendly but also good for couples and would give you a good sense of a laid-back California lifestyle that is hard to find in cities and touristy areas. Trust me, I'm not doing PR for the resort, but I think the hot tubs under a canopy of sycamore trees, the walking trail to the beach and a couple of fishing piers, the labyrinth and meditation garden are classic relaxed California.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Elizabeth Hansen

www.AuthenticLuxuryTravel.net

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
266 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere good to visit in Central Coast/comments on my plan

It is a great spot. We have stayed overnight for a locals getaway a couple of times. Both times we stayed in the "newer" rooms that are across the road and I think most if not all rooms have a hot tub on the deck and its that great sulphur water. Very centrally located, off the beaten path but not too far from the freeway. Haven't eaten there in a while either but enjoyed everytime I went. It takes a visitor to remind us locals what is in our own backyards! Five nights! Nice job! :)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somewhere good to visit in Central Coast/comments on my plan

>> If anyone thinks 3 days along the coast is too much, alternative would be just two, feel free to comment.<<

As you can see by the above comments, 3 days is definitely not too too much time on the Central Coast. Indeed, it may not be enough.

Do not miss Point Lobos Reserve south of Carmel. Skip the 17-mile drive to make time for it if you must. The 17-mile drive is a pleasant drive along the coast with golf courses and expensive houses. Point Lobos is spectacular.

http://tinyurl.com/bdqw6kn

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Somewhere good to visit in Central Coast/comments on my plan

Be sure to check road conditions along Route 1 as there can be closures and delays. You can go to the California Department of Transportation website (Caltrans) and get current road conditions.

If you go to Hearst Castle, be sure to stop at the roadside turnout nearby to see the elephant seals that hang out on the beach. Hearts Castle and San Simeon are actually north of Cambria.

I agree with the others about Point Lobos.

You will probably end up wishing you had more time as this section of the coast is wonderful.

John

Level Contributor
34,732 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Somewhere good to visit in Central Coast/comments on my plan

The restaurant at Sycamore Springs is Gardens of Avila, it is very good! :)

9. Re: Somewhere good to visit in Central Coast/comments on my plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, January 06, 2014