We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Son Visiting Cal Poly - Where Should Parents Stay?

Which San Luis Obispo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
51 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Son Visiting Cal Poly - Where Should Parents Stay?

My son wants to visit friends at Cal Poly SLO Veterans' Day weekend to tour the school. He thinks he is staying in the dorm with them. I have my doubts. So my husband and I want to stay nearby, but also have a getaway ourselves. We were considering staying in Morro Bay, Avila Beach, or Pismo/Shell Beach. We'd pay up to $200 a night, prefer being on the water for beach walks and views, and to dine in nice restaurants. Shopping is not important. We could also staying in SLO maybe taking a hike, going to the Botanical Gardens, and Edna Valley Winery. Recommendations?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,728 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Son Visiting Cal Poly - Where Should Parents Stay?

There aren't really any hotels in Morro Bay where you can walk right out on to the beach. In Pismo, there's Sea Venture Resort, Sandcastle Inn & Sea Gypsy or The Cliffs, which has beach access via a trail just north of the hotel.

Avila Lighthouse suites is right across the street from the beach and is the nicest "ocean front" property in town. Avila La Fonda, while not on the water, has a nice ambiance and they offer a discount to Costco members. At least they did the last time I checked.

In SLO: San Luis Lodge, Holiday Inn Express, Petit Soliel & Garden Street Inn would be good choices.

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
51 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Son Visiting Cal Poly - Where Should Parents Stay?

Thanks for the quick reply. I've been checking availability and many places are sold out for that weekend. Even Holiday Inn Express has only rooms with 1 bed available. I'll keep checking.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Son Visiting Cal Poly - Where Should Parents Stay?

There is also the Inn at Avila Beach, which is right across from the beach. Sycamore Mineral Springs and Avila Village Inn are also great settings, but not on the ocean.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,728 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Son Visiting Cal Poly - Where Should Parents Stay?

Yes, weekends book up quickly here, so you may have to consider options a little further away from the beach. Oxford Suites in Pismo Beach, Hampton Inn in Arroyo Grande or Holiday Inn Express in Grover Beach are a few additional places you might try.

If you think your son might be staying with you, try Pismo Lighthouse Suites. The rooms are huge and have 2 bathrooms. This hotel sits on a bluff overlooking the ocean and does not have beach access.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Son Visiting Cal Poly - Where Should Parents Stay?

Well, one of my sons went to college there, so we stayed in about every place in SLO, Morro Bay, and Pismo/Shell Beach.

Liked the La Cuesta Inn if staying in SLO, which we did the first year to be close to events. It's across the street from the Apple Farm Inn and Restaurant. They have nice breakfast there.

http://www.lacuestainn.com/

Inn at Morro Bay which is about 12 miles north of town. It's been about a dozen year, but gorgeous views of Morro Rock, fireplaces, bikes to borrow.

http://www.innatmorrobay.com/

A favorite place to stay was at the Cliffs in Shell Beach.

http://www.cliffsresort.com/

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,728 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Son Visiting Cal Poly - Where Should Parents Stay?

The Inn at Morro Bay is a great location within the state park, but not on or next to a beach. The Embarcadero Inn is also another good location. Both of the above hotels do overlook the marina and it's just a short drive over to Morro Rock where the beach is located. The Embracadero Inn has the advantage of being able to walk to nearby restaurants along the waterfront. Windows on the Water, Rose's Landing, Dorn's are a few dining options in Morro Bay.

If you find a place to stay in Pismo Beach: Ventana Grill at the Shore Cliff Lodge, Marisol @ The Cliffs, Lido @ Dolphin Bay, Steamer's of Pismo, Guiseppe's, Splash Cafe, Mo's BBQ

San Luis Obispo: Novo, Buona Tavola, Cielo, Gold Rush Steak House @ The Madonna Inn

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Son Visiting Cal Poly - Where Should Parents Stay?

Kmom, I had my 21st Birthday Dinner, many moons ago, at the Gold Rush Steak House in the Madonna Inn. My family drove up from LA, and treated my roommates to dinner there to celebrate with us.

The restaurant is a nightmare in Pink, but I still remember that steak dinner. It was excellent.

All the restaurants you suggested would be perfect for the OP to try.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,728 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Son Visiting Cal Poly - Where Should Parents Stay?

lol! CAnative. Yes, the Madonna Inn is garish, but still popular. Glad you enjoyed your B-day dinner there.

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
51 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Son Visiting Cal Poly - Where Should Parents Stay?

Thanks everyone. We are booked at SeaVenture since most other places with two beds was booked. We'll check out the restaurant recommendations, too. Now, we are hoping for sunshine.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,728 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Son Visiting Cal Poly - Where Should Parents Stay?

Hate to say this, but next weekend (Nov. 11-12) looks like rain. But we are a week out, so that could change.