We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite to Hearst Castle or Monterey

Dracut...
Level Contributor
15 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite to Hearst Castle or Monterey

We are driving from Yosemite in two weeks and are looking for advice because of road closure. I have always wanted to see Hearst Castle. It seems like a 4 hour drive to there from Yosemite from other posts. Then how do we get up to Monterey and avoid Big Sur road closure and traffic tie ups?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,916 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite to Hearst Castle or Monterey

Are you planning on doing Hearst Castle AND driving up to Monterey on the same day? That's going to be a lot of driving for one day, if so.

From Hearst Castle, you would simply double back to Highway 46 just south of Cambria over to Highway 101 north to the Monterey Peninsula exit as you enter Salinas. Follow the signs to Highway 68 west over to Monterey.

Yosemite to Hearst Castle is approx. a 4 to 5 hour drive. Hearst to Monterey via the above route is approx. a 3 hour drive.

Dracut...
Level Contributor
15 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite to Hearst Castle or Monterey

My trip so far is flying in to SF. First night in Sonoma, drive to Yosemite staying two nights. Then I have two or three free nights before heading back to SF for last 1 or two nights. I was thinking of driving to Hearst Castle area, stay one night, then drive to Monterey and on to SF. The road closure is my big concern so thanks for the directions. Also, staying just one night while travelling is pretty exhausting.

3. Re: Yosemite to Hearst Castle or Monterey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, May 31, 2012