We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to

Which San Luis Obispo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
travel to

wish to visit San Luis Obispo in Oct 2011, will be flying out of Kansas city , which airport would be the best to fly into, rent a car and see Hearst castle and surrounding area.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,935 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to

Fresno Airport is closest - about 2 hour drive

fresno.gov/DiscoverFresno/…default.htm

San Luis Obispo is about equal distance from Los Angeles and San Francisco - as such, if you want to see one of those, look at:

1) San Jose Airport (hour south of San Francisco) and about a 4 hour drive to San Luis Obispo

2) In LA either Burbank or Los Angeles International - LAX is a bit closer;but its much easier to get from your flight to your rental car and be on your way to San Luis Obispo. As such, if you fly into LA area, recommend Burbank airport.

So,first take a look to see if flights and $$ for the flight to Fresno works well or not; if not check either Burbank or San Jose airports.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to

Consider Santa Barbara Airport.

The following airlines fly into there: Alaska, Horizon, United, American, US Air, and Frontier.

Not sure exactly which airport you are leaving from or your budget. You may find something that works for you.

Dr. Z

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,969 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to

You can fly right into SLO from Phoenix, LA orSF. Not sure how pricy it is, but I know my niece flew SLO to PHX to do a transfer to meet the family in Cabo.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,969 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to

Your best bet is to probably fly Southwest to Burbank or San Jose and drive.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel to

San Jose airport to SLO is about a 3 hour drive, just did it 3 days ago. Gorgeous drive. The smaller airports (Santa Barbara, Fresno) will be more $$$ than MCI to SJC.

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel to

thank you

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
34 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel to

Occasionally you can get a good rate into the SLO airport (code:SBP). US Air and United fly here.

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travel to

Usually on longer flights it's not that much different to fly into SLO as compared to a major California airport. For example, I just looked up a random day in October, and I came up with $336 from KC to SLO, as compared to $258 from KC to LAX. The extra $80 is well worth it in my opinion, especially if your destination is really San Luis Obispo. It's a 4-hour drive from LA, 3 hours from San Jose, and 2 hours from Santa Barbara. Just on gas alone, you're better off flying all the way.

I live in the San Luis Obispo area, and used to drive to LA or San Jose to "save" money on flying cross country by starting at one of those airports, but now I've learned to use the local airport...much better for long flights--all of which connect through LA, SF or Phoenix.

If you have a choice, I'd try to connect through Phoenix, since they have fewer connection problems at that airport, and fly small jets into San Luis instead of slower prop planes. Connecting through SF is probably worst, since they often have fog-related delays there, and it's easy to miss the connection to San Luis.

On the other hand, the airport food at SFO is excellent...

Edited: 3:17 am, April 22, 2011
9. Re: travel to

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, October 29, 2012