We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best itinerary for a 2-3 night trip?

Which San Luis Obispo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
riverside, ca
Level Contributor
65 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Best itinerary for a 2-3 night trip?

Husband and I want to take a trip for a couple days in April, likely a Thurs-Sat. Will have to stop in Lompoc on way up from Riverside but rest of time will be in SLO. Will make a point to go to Farmer's market, but what kind of plan for a late 30s couple with no kids would be interesting? All ideas welcome!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best itinerary for a 2-3 night trip?

SLO is a great place to base yourself for visiting the Central Coast.

Downtown SLO also has the California mission, Bubblegum Alley (gross, but interesting) and some nice shops that back up to a creek that runs through town.

Things to see/do nearby:

Pismo/Avila Beach: Rent hot tubs at Sycamore Mineral Springs, walk out on the pier or beach, hire a hummer tour for a ride in the dunes or take a bi-plane ride from the Oceano Airport, Great American Melodrama in Oceano

Montana de Oro State Park: nice, easy hike out to bluffs overlooking the ocean, tide pools below

Morro Bay: Rent kayaks and paddle through the estuary, whale watch tour, embarcadero shops

Cambria: Pretty coastal hamlet nestled in the pine trees, quaint shops, wooden boardwalk along coastal path, Hearst Castle (10 minutes from Cambria), elephant seal rookery (4 miles north of Hearst Castle)

Paso Robles; Excellent wine region with many tasting rooms to explore

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,942 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best itinerary for a 2-3 night trip?

For dinner in SLO, we liked Novo

http://www.novorestaurant.com/cm/Home.html

For more on the wonderful wineries in Paso Robles see also

http://www.pasowine.com/

Lots of fantastic places to go if you enjoy wine tasting.

If like olive oil tasting, also see Pasolivo (small but fun place to go)

http://www.pasolivo.com/

Kibblesmom has given you the highlights already - but did want to give you a couple of links to check out some of these options further. have a nice trip.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best itinerary for a 2-3 night trip?

See a show at the Great American Melodrama in Oceano. Take a guided horseback ride on the beach (Pacific Dunes Livery). Take a hummer ride in the dunes. If you go wine tasting in PR plan a picnic at Calcareous. (On top of a mountain with great views). Go to San Simeon and take a tour of Hearst Castle.

riverside, ca
Level Contributor
65 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best itinerary for a 2-3 night trip?

Yup, thanks for all the ideas. I think we will definitely do montana de oro park. I'm curious about driving time to Morro Bay and up to Hearst Castle. About how long is each drive? I'd rather not spend too much time driving during the trip once base camp is set up! Thanks again.

riverside, ca
Level Contributor
65 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best itinerary for a 2-3 night trip?

Looking at the hotels in the area, I'm seeing reviews with bedbugs and uncleanliness, or for the price, there arent a bunch of great deals for the quality of the stay. I found the La Fonda in Avila Beach and was wondering if the drive back and forth is worth it. We with definitely be coming into SLO but also doing some beach hiking, etc. Which is better, an in town stay or at the coast? Thanks.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best itinerary for a 2-3 night trip?

Ok. Drive times.

SLO to Morro Bay is about a 10 minute drive once you get past town. SLO to Hearst Castle is about a 45 minute drive.

You could make a day out of the north end of SLO County by starting one of your days with a Hearst Castle tour, the elephant seals (4 miles north of Hearst Castle), Cambria and ending in Morro Bay (or Paso Robles if you want to spend some time in wine country) before returning back to SLO.

What hotels were you reading about bed bugs? How much do you want to spend? I can do some research for you if you tell me your highest price point and the actual dates of your visit. The later in April, the higher the prices due to Spring Break.

Edited: 2:48 pm, March 03, 2011
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best itinerary for a 2-3 night trip?

Just re-read your last post and saw your inquiry about Avila. Avila is a mere 10 minutes from SLO. Avila La Fonda is a nice property and, I believe, they offer a great deal to Costco members. The Avila La Fonda is near the beach, but doesn't have rooms with a view.

The drive to Avila Beach is through a pretty wooded valley via Avila Beach Drive or San Luis Bay Drive (San Luis Bay Drive meets/ends at Avila Beach Drive).

riverside, ca
Level Contributor
65 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best itinerary for a 2-3 night trip?

Ok Let's see. Madonna Inn has bed bugs as well as a couple others, I would have to go through them and recheck but its easier just to check price range. I was trying to stay under $130 a night, but after rechecking Avila Beach, those hotels with dicounts are over $200 a night. I dont understand why the hotels are so overpriced even for some moderate places to stay. Truthfully, I stayed in a 2 room suite in tucson last year for $100 a night, and the prices in SLO and Avila are steep!

A lot of the places are booked in April already due to spring break I think, but I was thinking about Peach Tree or Embassy Suites or La Cuesta, but just not sure of local reputation. If I could afford the La Fonda I'd go, but its $225 a night plus taxes. That's no deal for an area that is not a major destination. Its really disappointing. If you have any recommendations-shoot! thanks for all the help!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best itinerary for a 2-3 night trip?

Prices are high along the coast because this is a tourist destination and the supply and demand of available rooms keeps the mid to higher end lodging prices high.

Peach Tree Inn seems to get great reviews here on TA. I know the owner (He shops where I work) and he's a very nice person who takes pride in his little motel.

La Cuesta would also be a good choice. Embassy Suites is located at the end of a mall. Don't know how you would feel about staying near a bunch of retail stores, but there are some good dining options near Embassy Suites.

The Holiday Inn Express on Monterey Street is another option.

riverside, ca
Level Contributor
65 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best itinerary for a 2-3 night trip?

Thanks for all of the assistance. I decided on the Peach Tree. They gave us a creekside room for $99/night midweek. that's not a bad price for an upgraded room. I will definitely post my experience sometime after the trip. Thanks again.