We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel big sur

Which San Luis Obispo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berkshire
2 posts
Save Topic
Travel big sur

Is there any public transport that actually goes along the big sur? Can get to all the places I want to go to in California using Amtrak except big sur.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
826 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel big sur

The local buses go there. Go to mst.org, check on the route schedule for route 22. (Montereysalinas transit)

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel big sur

There is a gap in public transit service between San Simeon (Hearst Castle) and Big Sur because the area is so remote. But yes, the rest of the coast has bus service.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel big sur

So, in other words, you would have to take Amtrak to Salinas and take a bus over to Monterey and most likely transfer to another bus for Big Sur.

I believe the bus schedule for Big Sur is scanty, so you'll have to research that to make it all come together.

There is no public transport service from SLO up the Big Sur coast.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel big sur

If you plan on traveling the coast using some combination of Amtrak and public transit, feel free to post your ideas/plans here. I would be happy to give you some tips. I have used almost* every public transit system along the Central Coast and keep up on service changes, etc. and am also aware of little quirks that may impact your ability to transfer between bus lines.

*I say "almost" because there are bus services between Santa Maria, Lompoc, Solvang, and Santa Barbara that started up after I moved away from the area, and because of their limited schedules, I have not been able to travel back to the area and give them a try.

5. Re: Travel big sur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:31 am, January 19, 2010