We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for family and Great Golf courses nearby

Northern CA
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for family and Great Golf courses nearby

Looking to surprise my husband for his b-day with a 3 night stay and golf just for him. Beach and pool for me and kids. Prefer a hotel with suites, a great pool (slide a bonus) at 250.00 - 400.00 a night. Close to some fun things for 6.5 and 10 year old kids. Great golf courses or even golf school. Any ideas? Thanks you all!

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for family and Great Golf courses nearby

The Avila Lighthouse Suites meets all of your requirements, except for the slide by the pool. (!) There's a playground next door and swingsets on the beach that's just across the street.

The Blacklake Golf Resort (http://www.blacklake.com/)is just a 5 minute drive away, and the town itself, while very small, is extremely cute and walkable.

We just stayed there in March and liked it very much.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for family and Great Golf courses nearby

Oops, I meant to give you the link for the Avila Beach Golf Resort, not Blacklake.

http://www.avilabeachresort.com/

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for family and Great Golf courses nearby

You might want to check out the Lighthouse Suites in Pismo as well. Pismo and Avila are only around 10 minutes apart. In addition to the course in Avila there is Blacklake in Nipomo (20 min from Pismo) and Hunter Ranch in Paso Robles (about 45 min from Pismo). I would go with Avila or Blacklake as it gets hot during the day in PR.

Your kids might enjoy the Avila Barn. It's just west of Hwy 101 on the way to Avila Beach. They sell produce & pies, have some animals for the kids to look at and a U-pick berry patch. It's always crowded there in the summer. At night you might enjoy the Great American Melodrama in Oceano. You can google it for reservation & play information. Another thing you might enjoy is a horseback ride at the Silver Spur Livery in Oceano. You need to make reservations for this too. You can also take dune tours. I've never done it but one of my friends took a hummer ride and said it was really fun. Please note Oceano is only a few minutes south of Pismo. (Have to say that when my children were the same age as yours they were happy just playing on the beach). Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
35,249 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for family and Great Golf courses nearby

The Cliffs Resort in Shell Beach is very nice and has an outdoor swimming pool. It is close to both Avila and Pismo beaches. Have fun! :)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,242 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for family and Great Golf courses nearby

I think the hotel pool slide has all but disappeared. Can't think of any local hotels that have one.

Avila Lighthouse Suites or Pismo Lighthouse Suites are the best options for families. Not sure about the Avila Lighthouse Suites, But Pismo Lighthouse Suites' rooms are HUGE and have 2 bathrooms. A definite plus for a family of 4.

Another golf choice for your husband is Cypress Ridge located on the mesa in Arroyo Grande. Business Highway 1 to Halcyon Road. Left on Halcyon.

Take the kids to Doc Burnstein's Ice Cream Parlor in the Village of Arroyo Grande. The village is a western themed shopping district. Behind the south side shops is a small park with a gazebo and swinging bridge over Arroyo Grande Creek. The kids might enjoy having pizza at Klondike's where they serve you peanuts in the shell and you can toss the shells on the floor.

The Avila Valley Barn is another family friendly activity previously mentioned. And there's also a hot springs pool on the corner of Avila Valley Drive and Ontario Road just west of the 101 freeway.

You could also do a Hummer ride out on the dunes:

www.xtremehummeradventures.com

Northern CA
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for family and Great Golf courses nearby

We are heading out soon and just love all the recommendations...much thanks! I'll post photos and reviews when we return.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,242 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel for family and Great Golf courses nearby

Bring your sweats! We've had some chilly weather lately, especially in the early morning and evening hours.

Enjoy your stay!

Northern CA
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel for family and Great Golf courses nearby

Thanks, I was just looking at weather - we actually are only staying one night on the way to Los Olivos and can go inland as I have yet to make reservations. Any suggestions for a comfy/cozy hotel stay?

9. Re: Hotel for family and Great Golf courses nearby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, February 07, 2010