We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay for July 4th?

NY, USA
14 posts
Save Topic
San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay for July 4th?

Hello all!

My wife and I are going to stay in either San Luis Obispo (Quality Inn Suites on Monterey St.) or Morro Bay (Ascot Suites) on July 4th and wanted to know what your preference would be?

We are in our late 20's and love being near the water but also would appreciate some nightlife that night. We found out that Morro Bay has fireworks and that is what made us consider it.

We would be grateful for any of your suggestions or opinions.

Thanks,

Patrick

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,694 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay for July 4th?

Morro Bay is a quiet fishing village not known for much of a nightlife.

However, there are no fireworks displays in San Luis Obispo due to fire dangers.

Cambria, Cayucos, Morro Bay & Pismo Beach are your only options for fireworks as they occur over water and don't pose a fire threat.

NY, USA
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay for July 4th?

Thank you, Kibblesmom. We booked Morro Bay and will drive into San Luis Obispo that night if there is no live entertainment in MB.

Thanks for your help.

Patrick

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,341 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay for July 4th?

My vote would be Pismo Beach. The beach is huge, you can sit down close to the water or up farther in the "dune." We usually take a bottle of wine and some sour dough bread. Good times. BTW, you might want to pack a sweatshirt, even for Morro Bay.

Cambria, California
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay for July 4th?

You may want to check out Cayucos on the July 4th. They go all out for the fourth. They have a parade, firework show and a really cool sand castle contest.

www.funnynose.com/rayr/Cayucos/cayucos.html

Cayucos probably has the best firework show on the north coast of SLO county. You can even board a boat from Virg's Landing in Morro Bay and watch the Cayucos show

"Reservations are being accepted for trips to view the Cayucos Fourth of July fireworks. Boats depart Morro Bay at 7:30 p.m. with return approximately at 10:30 p.m. Fares are $35 for adults and $25 for children age 14 and under."

We have a firework show up here in Cambria also, but usually the fog rolls in so everybody just looks up to sky and says "ooooh red fog...ooooh blue fog" ;)

NY, USA
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay for July 4th?

Thank you guys very much. We booked in Morro Bay, although we wanted Cayucos. We'll keep the ship in mind.

Patrick

Simi Valley, CA
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay for July 4th?

I'm heading through the area up from LA to Monterey on the 101. Can anyone fill me in on the general smoke conditions in the area.

Thanks

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,694 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay for July 4th?

The skies in the Pismo Beach area are just a little hazy today. It will probably worsen the further north you go as you get closer to the fire zones. The Indian Fire is still burning in the hills between Paso Robles and King City and is expected to merge with the Basin Fire in the Big Sur range.

Posters in the Monterey area are saying the skies have been clear the last day or so, but conditions can change daily depending on which way the wind is blowing and the direction the fire is burning.

Cambria, California
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay for July 4th?

I'm in Paso Robles right now. No noticable smell or discomfort, but as I look north there is a dark haze. No offence to SoCal people but It kind of looks like Los Angeles smog

9. Re: San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay for July 4th?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 03, 2009