We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grocery or deli supplies before Big Sur

Which San Luis Obispo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Poconos, PA
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
grocery or deli supplies before Big Sur

Hi

Will be staying in SLO over a July weekend and then staying in Big Sur.

Where is most reasonable place to buy groceries? Just need sandwich foods, cereal & milk, etc we can throw in a styrofoam cooler as we only want to eat out once a day (lunch or dinner).

We are staying @ Apple Tree Inn if you can provide general directions in between there and Cabrillo Hwy.

thanks ~ Tina

Cambria, California
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grocery or deli supplies before Big Sur

You will want to be stopping in Morro Bay to top off gas gas tank anyway. There is an Albertsons right off the Main Street exit. Trust me on filling up in Morro Bay. It is your last stop heading north for reasonable gas prices.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,732 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grocery or deli supplies before Big Sur

Hi Tina

Isn't your lodging at the Peach Tree Inn? If so, just drive south on Monterey Street to Santa Rosa Street and turn right. Santa Rosa turns into Highway 1.

Morro Bay is an excellent choice for stocking up on picnic supplies. There's a Spencer's Market just off the highway in addition to the chain stores. Either market will suffice.

Enjoy your time on the coast!

Poconos, PA
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: grocery or deli supplies before Big Sur

Ok fisherman I will top up in Morro Bay after stocking up.

And yes kibblesmom - it is PEACHtree ~ apples, grapes, tangerines.....I knew it was one of those fruits! LOL

Will make note of Albertsons and Spencers and ask the locals for details once we arrive

thank you ~ Tina

Cambria, California
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grocery or deli supplies before Big Sur

Also...Your hotel is not far from Scolari's Supermarket. Just head south on Monterey. Make a Left on Johnson. You'll see a place called The Splash Cafe. Pull into the parking lot go inside and buy a bowl of Clam Chowder than get back in your car and continue down Johnson a few blocks. It is on the right hand side, You can't miss it. Once you buy your groceries and you start driving back to your hotel, you may want to stop for another bowl of clam chowder, IT'S THAT GOOD :)

Cambria, California
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grocery or deli supplies before Big Sur

oops my bad Splash is one block before Johnson on California st

Poconos, PA
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: grocery or deli supplies before Big Sur

Oh great - we will need some provisions when we get into SLO so we will head to Scolari's.

SPLASH sounds like seafood takeout kind of place?

Clam Chowder will be ordered at least once! Thanks for the recommendation.

Teen is not a big seafood fan (will eat shrimp tempura or crab cakes only if in the right mood).

I also love Mexican - just about ANY especially traditional and spicy. But totally non-spicy nachos or chicken quesidilla is her limit.

Any advise for budget eats we both will enjoy - will NOT do fast food burgers for 10 days. I thought if we could find TAKE OUT mexican, pizzeria, deli etc in same neighborhood we could each get what we like at reasonable price to supplement our grocery fare.

Is SLO like a walking main street area? We will not be in town for the Thursday market.

Tina

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,732 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grocery or deli supplies before Big Sur

I have yet to find REALLY good Mexican food in this area. Don't care what anyone says about their favorite, most of it is sub-par by my standards.

There are several eateries along Monterey St. There's Frank's Famous Dogs, The Apple Farm and the deli at the Sands Hotel. If you must have Mexican, then Pepe Delgado's will suffice. They do have good rice and beans there and it'll be close to your hotel if you want to walk. The "walk in town" area is located further in the downtown area on Higuera St. It's a little bit of a walk from where you're staying, but do-able.

Oh, there's a Woodstock's Pizza and Firestone Grill located in the Higuera St. area and both are really good.

8. Re: grocery or deli supplies before Big Sur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 01, 2009