We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving PCH from Santa Barbara to Napa

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving PCH from Santa Barbara to Napa

I am planning a surprise trip for my husband for our 30th wedding anniversary from 10/8 through 10/15. We will be driving from LAX to overnight in Santa Barbara at the Upham (dinner at the Wine Cask), then onto San Luis Obispo to the SLO Creek Lodge. I have reserved 2 nights at SLO, but am now thinking that once we head to Hearst Castle, we should continue on from there and stay in Cambria. I have 2 questions, first, should we do both a day tour and the night tour of Hearst Castle and second if we stay in Cambria should we stay somewhere on Moonstone Beach or at the Ollalieberry Inn? We are beach lovers (in fact my husband is an avid beach volleyballplayer), but the Ollalieberry Inn looks very nice. I have some other questions, but I'll wait to hear back on these first. Thanks for your help in advance.

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving PCH from Santa Barbara to Napa

OK, you have 7 days to visit the SB/SLO area? I would definitely keep the 2 days in SLO and explore around there. Lots to do. Then when you go to Cambria, stay somewhere up there the next night. Moonstone Beach is lovely, but our weather can be cooler and foggy so be prepared. You can get a room on Moonstone Beach with a fireplace, which might be romantic. I don't know much about Ollalieberry Inn, but I'm sure it's great too. I believe it is walking distance to the downtown area, whereas Moonstone is a bit farther away.

October can be a lovely time of year here, however, but we've had some sprinkles late in October. (I remember this, because my daughter's birthday is late October!) Be prepared for both warm and cool weather.

Go ahead and do a day and night tour of Hearst Castle, both will be great. Make sure the tours are of different parts of the castle. Cambria closes up pretty early in the evening. Cambria is very near Hearst Castle. It would be a long drive back to SLO after a full day in Cambria, that's why I would stay in Cambria.

You could then go east on Hwy 46 and visit our wonderful wineries in the Paso Robles area and then spend the night there for one evening.

Have a wonderful anniversary!

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving PCH from Santa Barbara to Napa

I'm sorry. I now see your headline says that you are going all the way to Napa. You'll want to shorten up my suggestions then. If you want to go to the wineries in Napa, you can skip Paso Robles. You're looking at abour a 5 hour drive from SLO to Napa, I think, maybe even a bit longer.

But if you choose to skip Napa completely, you could easily enjoy our fantastic wineries throughout our region and enjoy the Central Coast in one week's time. Napa is north of San Jose/San Francisco, as I'm sure you've figured out. That way, you could spend less time on the road and more time relaxing, eating fine food and sipping wine.

Either way, enjoy our state!