We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in Santa Clara County to Live?

CA
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where in Santa Clara County to Live?

Hi, Moving from Napa to somewhere in Santa Clara County. Most probably Santa Clara, Cupertino, Campbell, or Sunnyvale.

Need advice. Will be looking for an apartment. I have a young child needing a good elementary school/district with special needs...aspergers syndrome....I would like an area near parks, shopping, not concrete heaven if possible....Please advise where you would move if you had a young child, need to rent, and need to be in Santa Clara county for hubby's work opportunity. Thanks in advance! Any and all advice welcome!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
875 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where in Santa Clara County to Live?

Consider a little further north. I live in Foster City (where there are tons of apartments). It's an easier commute to Sunnyvale going south than it is coming from the south; much less traffic. It also has more of a feeling of community and neighborhood and you don't get caught up in that whole crowded thing I found after years of living in San Jose. There are lots of schools, parks, and the town is built on a network of pretty lagoons and waterways.

California
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where in Santa Clara County to Live?

I would suggest finding the job first, then decide on a place to live. Santa Clara Co. is huge and almost anyplace will be near parks & shopping with good school districts to be found; but a communte from say Mt. View to south San Jose will not be much fun. You will also know the salary you'll have to live on and can select an affordable location.

Since you had an unsuccessful attempt moving to Napa without a job first, perhaps it's time to give the reverse a try. The bay area is very expensive to live in and it would not be the best idea to relocate without a steady income.

Good luck!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where in Santa Clara County to Live?

Doh! I stand corrected, Milpitas is in Santa Clara County - right-o -- and I should know better. I worked in Fremont for two years.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where in Santa Clara County to Live?

Anyway, back to Alameda County: You might want to look around Fremont. Easy commute to Silicon Valley, nice community, good schools.

You can move farther up that side of the bay to Hayward, but the commute gets worse even as the rents probably get better... and I don't know about the schools.

menlo park
8 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Where in Santa Clara County to Live?

I think that mountain view might be a better place live just because of it proximity to great activities and seems to be growing because of google, yahoo....etc companies that have flourished post dotcom bust.

Depending on rent, average price for 2 bedroom is approx $1200/mo. If you look around, certain parts of mountain view are zoned school district for Los Altos which is a very affluent area, thus better funded school. I remember that there are school websites with API results for schools in the district...Although tests don't tell the whole story about school services for special needs or teacher talent, it is a starting point for further investigations. Good luck

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where in Santa Clara County to Live?

Hello.

I've lived in the South Bay for a lot of the last forty years, and I've worked with homeless shelters here so am plenty familiar with well-educated folks who couldn't keep up with their home payments... I've never needed a car to commute to school, work or any daily activity. The public transportation system is a bit quirky but can work quickly, cheaply and efficiently if you live in any of many good locations. It's not a priority for most people here so it's a well-kept secret. I often wonder why I even have cars.

I would agree with Kitty55: Find "the job first, then decide on a place to live. Santa Clara Co. is huge and almost anyplace will be near parks & shopping with good school districts to be found..." Post again when you find a work location. The possibilities are quite numerous.

Unfortunately, the whole place is concrete heaven. I call it asphalt. There's not much escape from it.

As for affordability, the thing that hurts a lot of people is that they don't realize that a 750k home in the South Bay means about $750 per month in property taxes. Never mind the financial burden of a mortgage!

As for jobs in manufacturing, production, or assembly, computer, or electrical, YES, the manufacturers are always looking for help here because the help typically can't afford to live here. Employers here include: semiconductor capital equipment makers [Applied Materials, LAM (Fremont), Novellus, Cisco], Lockheed Martin, British Aerospace (formerly FMC or United Defence), Space Systems Loral, and a huge assortment of small biotech manufacturers.

um...why are you calling around _for_ your husband? Shouldn't he be making calls himself?

Other remarks:

Los Gatos is still a good location, especially for a child near or along the Los Gatos Creek Trail.

Any school with a large Asian representation will be good, not because they are Asian, but because that segment of the population's families are largely still intact--that's good chemistry for kids ready to learn. The schools are anti-family though...

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where in Santa Clara County to Live?

Los gatos is still a good location for the wealthy. You won't find too many people in assembly raising families there. If your husband is really outgoing there is money to be made in high tech telesales. Starting pay is usually around $90k, but you have to land a job first. If he is outgoing and has some knowledge of technology that may be a good way to earn a nice wage with little or no prior experience.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Where in Santa Clara County to Live?

Although Los Gatos is mainly for the "wealthy," there are many relatively more affordable apartments and rental situations there within a block or two of that Los Gatos Creek Trail & Vasona Park. If you wind up that way, post again. Again, the possibilities are numerous from Willow Glen all the 7 miles down through downtown Campbell and on to downtown Los Gatos with excellent public transportation connections.

Ann Arbor Mi
Level Contributor
103 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Where in Santa Clara County to Live?

Well, this brings us to the eternal question. How do real people, who havn't bought into the Silicon valley real estate market 10 -20 years ago ever buy a house? Real estate prices for single family housing is so out of wack that companies cannot attract workers from out of state nor other parts of CA. Is it better to be a life long renter and put your money elsewhere as an investment? Im sure housing prices in the Bay area in general will ease up slightly over the next few years but the question remains. Unless your a dot com prodigy how does someone moving to the Bay/ Silicon valley area ever hope to buy a decent house for a somewhat reasonable price?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Where in Santa Clara County to Live?

"How do real people, who havn't bought into the Silicon valley real estate market 10 -20 years ago ever buy a house?"

Just wait for the US dollar to become nearly worthless. You'll then make the $millions necessary to buy the $multi-million places. Real estate has become a leading indicator for real inflation. Before ending this digression, I've been arguing that California needs a separate currency, separated from the US $ because its economics are so out-of-step, it really messes things up. For similar reasons for example, Norway will never join up with the euro because its economy is so lofted by massive oil exports unlike the usual euro nation.

Renting in Silicon Valley will become harder. Cities like Mountain View are getting rid of apartment complexes in favor of more unaffordable homes for purchase. The cities here are so addicted to property tax revenues that the lobbies are really strong for more properties for purchase. IMO, the addiction must be broken and substituted with something the Europeans have demonstrated well: massive taxes on gasoline instead.