We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose Airport public transportation

Glendora, California
Level Contributor
43 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
San Jose Airport public transportation

Is there public transportation from San Jose Airport to the downtown area? This is the first time I will be in San Jose. How good is public transportation? Or do I need to rent a car?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,381 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: San Jose Airport public transportation

For public transit, you take VTA bus 10, which is really just a free airport shuttle) to the Metro lightrail staition, then the lightrail into downtown SJ. It is fairly straightforward, but because the airport is only a few miles from downtown, a taxi is fast and ptetty cheap. All airport taxis have a flat $15 rate that covers you for the first several miles (I think 5). Enough to get uou downtown.

For hotels, check the DeAnza, Marriott, Montgomery, Hotel St Claire. There is also a Hyatt something (Staybridge suites, maybe?) It used to be a Crowne Plaza. All are within about a 10 min walk from The Tank. It may officially be called SAP Center, but to us it is always The Shark Tank.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: San Jose Airport public transportation

$250 is insufficient to stay at Santana Row.

$250 is plenty to stay at places like Fairfield Inn San Jose or Candlewood Suites Santa Clara. Weekday flexible rates for those two places with taxes hits about $200 per night. AAA would get you maybe 10% off. Advance pre-paid nonrefundable might get you a bit less than that.

Metrorail equivalent is the light rail as november_moon says. Easy. It stops right in front of the Fairfield Inn. There's the VTA bus 10 stop, Holiday Inn, Doubletree and a few other places right there too. You actually don't even need bus 10. All of those places are a ten minute walk to the San Jose airport terminals.

Bus 10 will get you to the west side of the SJC runways where the Candlewood Suites and Santa Clara transit center are. From there, the Shark Tank is a $2 & 10 minutes bus, very frequent bus, ride right down the El Camino Rl.

Edited: 11:41 am, April 02, 2014
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,917 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: San Jose Airport public transportation

Not sure when OP is coming, but I put in random weekends in June and getting rates < $200/nights before taxes and fees. I wonder if rates are more for concerts or other events at SAP?

rubi - is your event a one time thing or do you have to travel back and forth to the arena? Is your goal just to go to the event or the see other things in the area? The motels around the transit center are fine for sleeping but really nothing around there if you didn't have a car.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: San Jose Airport public transportation

Weekend hotel stays are significantly cheaper,easily 50% less, everywhere in the area.

15. Re: San Jose Airport public transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 04, 2015