We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

conference hotel or cheaper?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri USA
Level Contributor
397 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
conference hotel or cheaper?

I am thinking about attending a conference at the San Jose Convention Center in July. I can almost halve the hotel cost if I use Hot Wire, but I will be further away from the convention center. There are evening events on Friday and Saturday nights until about 9 or 10.

How safe is the light rail/buses/streets at night for a single woman?

Should I just suck it up and get a room at one of the hotel nearest the convention center?

Thanks.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: conference hotel or cheaper?

Downtown will be perfectly fine, but south of the convention center, the neighborhood goes downhill. What are the areas you are looking at with Hotwire?

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
397 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: conference hotel or cheaper?

With Hotwire, I am only looking at San Jose, but that covers from north of the airport to south of the convention center.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,034 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: conference hotel or cheaper?

Are you using betterbiddng to get an idea?

http://www.betterbidding.com

Really depends on where. Can you get similar rates on non blind sites? I don't know if I am comfortable walking too far or take VTA by myself at night. Let me look on betterbiddng...

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: conference hotel or cheaper?

I checked out the area shown on Hotwire.com for San Jose and that is quite a large area. I would not recommend booking through a blind site if you are planning to use public transport. There is just too much area that is either not well-served by public transit or is just plain questionable. The only way I would do that is if you could use betterbidding to tell exactly which hotel (or group of hotels) the reservation was for before you make the reservation. Sometimes you can compare the list of possible hotels on betterbidding to the listings on Hotwire, and based on star level and amenities, determine which hotel (or narrow it down to a few) that you would get. In that case, if all the possibilities would work for you, then go for it. But if even one of the possible hotels won't work, don't even attempt it.

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
397 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: conference hotel or cheaper?

Thanks, I am leery about how big the area is. I have decided I probably will not attend this conference, but I have learned lots of stuff about San Jose. I might just visit on my own next time I visit family up in San Francisco.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: conference hotel or cheaper?

If you decide to come another time, we are here to answer questions :-)

East Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: conference hotel or cheaper?

Why would you visit San Jose when you have family in San Francisco? I use to live in south San Jose, Santa Clara, and attended college at San Jose University living in downtown for over 4 years. Every once in a great while, I return to San Jose bar/club scene and regret it terribly. It has a reputation for being Man Jose and the men there are not of great quality. The clubs are predominantly tacky and with uninteresting people to meet. Surprisingly for the amount of Latin clubs, they don't really have a great salsa scene like SF. San Francisco bar scene, night going out tends provide a more polished metropolitan vibe. I stop in San Jose usually if a need cheap alteration, dry cleaners, great Vietnamese food, or see old college friend. Otherwise, I can't think of one form of entertainment which can't be better elsewhere.

Edited: 2:46 pm, March 11, 2014
8. Re: conference hotel or cheaper?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about San Jose