We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Suggestions near HP Pavillion???

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurant Suggestions near HP Pavillion???

We have tickets to see Josh Groban on Monday October 7th in San Jose. Do not know the area at all. Want a nice dinner that won't cost a fortune. Any suggestions are much appreciated :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,988 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Suggestions near HP Pavillion???

Are you parking on-site and then looking to walk some place from there? If so, the Poor House Bistro is nice, so is Paolo's and Bluefin, if sushi is okay.

If you are going to eat in Downtown and then head over, I love Original Joe's, The Grill on the Alley and McCormick & Schmick's if you stick with their fresh specials, simply grilled.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Suggestions near HP Pavillion???

The Old Spaghetti Factory is priced right and really good. You can walk to it.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,747 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Suggestions near HP Pavillion???

Oh I hope we don't get slammed by the SF food snobs for recommending Old Spaghetti! (And I will reserve judgement on Josh Groban) I try to eat in the streetcar at all the locations. I don't know if I classify it as nice. Fun... for sure.

OP - I have not idea what you like, but surely something near San Pedro Square (where OSF is) will appeal to you.

I like Paesano and Vino Vino.

The other main drag is along The Alameda.

Edited: 11:12 pm, October 03, 2013
San Jose
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Suggestions near HP Pavillion???

I hope we do, then they can re-read "dinner that won't cost a fortune". I guess that is all relative. $30-$50 for any single meal is not my cup of tea as I have other responsibilities and reasons to save my bucks.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,790 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Suggestions near HP Pavillion???

There are tons of choices near the arena - it is right downtown, so you have your pick of restaurants.

Poor House Bistro is great - it is in an old house, counter service with tables inside, on the porch, and in the front yard, very casual. The good is really good, but since you said a "nice" restaurant, this may not be what you are looking for.

If you like Thai food, House of Siam is very good - on 2nd between San Fernando and San Carlos.

For beer and pub food, Gordon Biersch is on San Fernando - this the original GB restaurant and has a nice patio - the brewery is a few blocks away.

On San Pedro Square there are white a few places - 71 St Peter being on the high end and several lower cost restaurants. Firehouse No. 1 is pretty good. Both are full service restaurants, as San Pedro Bistro and Wine and Los Cubanos. Britannia Arms is also full-service - this is a British pub atmosphere.

The Marketplace is a large space with many food stalls and couple of bars - everything is counter service and you can sit inside or outside - it is a nice space with a lot of choices.

For Italian food, I have had many great meals at Il Fornaio - which is on Market and San Carlos. It is a chain, but they do a very nice job.

For southern Mexican, Mezcal is a great choice - on San Fernando by 1st.

Namea Greek Taverna is a place that just opened recently - I haven't been there, but it is on my list to try - also on San Fernando by 1st.

I used to really enjoy McCormick and Schmicks, but since they were bought by Landry's, I have noticed a significant decrease in quality, so I don't recommend it anymore.

6. Re: Restaurant Suggestions near HP Pavillion???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 06, 2014
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now