Thank you TA members for all the help. My 10 day trip went well and the recommendations really helped.
1. We ended up going to SF first weekend and then moved to san Jose where DH had work.
2. San Jose- we booked the Hilton as it was in the limit set by his company. Downtown Hilton is just about ok to stay in. Very drab interiors and staff were not at all friendly as compared to those in Hilton SF. Breakfast options were limited (again comparing to what we had in Hilton SF).
Hotel was very convenient for public transport. Used the light rail to get to Great Mall, bus23 to Santana row and valley Fair
3. Day 1- walked around downtown and liked San Paedro square. Streets are not that far to explore. Ate at the market
Day2- Valley fair and Santana Row
Day 3- Great mall. Took the light rail
Day 4- had a hair cut at Umbrella Salon. Was ok on the first day but looked terrible after the first wash.
Day5 - took the caltrain to Palo Alto Univ avenue. Spent the afternoon there.
Day6 -tried the pizza place at the San Paedro market and flew back.
4. Rainbow cabs are very easy to get around here.
5. Didnt end up in any museum. Got too lazy to go there on my own.
Otherwise San Jose downtown was quiet and relaxed. Next time will rent a car to move around.