We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation in San Jose/ San Francisco

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transportation in San Jose/ San Francisco

I will be in San Jose for a conference in January 2014, but I was hoping to arrive early to do some sight seeing in San Francisco. Is it wise to rent a car and drive every day into San Francisco or should I use public transportation? One of the things I want to do in San Francisco is see Alcatraz. What is the best way to get there from 170 S. market street San Jose?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation in San Jose/ San Francisco

You can take Caltrain from SJ Diridon Station to the end of the line at 4th Street. Walk to Townsend & 4th and take the 30 bus to Fisherman's Wharf.

If you can take the baby bullet from San Jose it's only about a 1 hour ride to SF.

caltrain.com/schedules/weekdaytimetable.html

Then you don't have to deal with parking.

Edited: 5:01 pm, February 22, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,460 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation in San Jose/ San Francisco

I would use CalTrain as well, having a car in San Francisco is a pain. Just watch your return time.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,957 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation in San Jose/ San Francisco

Do you have to stay in SJ for the time before the conference? If it was my trip, I might stay in SF for my pre-conference sightseeing and then move to a SJ hotel for the conference.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation in San Jose/ San Francisco

Alcatraz tickets go on sale 90 days in advance and often sell out. Best to order in advance at www.alcatrazcruises.com

From the CalTrain station take the Metro (on King St.) to the Ferry Building and then either walk a bit short of a mile to Pier 33 or catch the F-Market & Wharves that runs in front of the Ferry Building along The Embarcadero.

5. Re: Transportation in San Jose/ San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 24, 2014
Get answers to your questions about San Jose