We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat??

Katy, TX
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat??

Hi! My husband and I are flying into San Jose Intl Apt and driving to Monterey/Carmel. We land at 1p and will be starving. Should we eat someplace in San Jose or drive to Santa Cruz and eat (or somwhere along the way)?

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,389 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat??

When I have gone to the eBay HQ in Campbell, we have gone to the Pruneyard shopping center in Campbell and there are plenty of restaurants in that one complex to chose from. I presume you will take 880 and 17 from SJC and this is off Hamilton Ave which is about a 10 min ride away. and you can then get back on 17 to Santa Cruz. There is also downtown Campbell which has many places as well.

There may be other places closer that others could comment on

Orange, California
Level Contributor
414 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat??

It depends on when you're hungry. There isn't much good around the airport, but near by is Campbell, a suburb on the way to santa cruz. (I assume you will be taking highway 17 if you are going by Santa Cruz.) Anyways in Campbell you will find some great restaurants. A Bellagio Italian Restaurant, has amazing food, El Burro is good Mexican, Outback, Johnny Rockets, The Garret is a great pizza place right off the freeway, and they have other food as well. Stacks in downtown Campbell has the best breakfast in town, also a good lunch menu, in a old town setting, Rock Bottom Brewery, or if you want something quick, Pizza My Heart is pizza by the slice, and is one of the best pizzas around.

Katy, TX
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat??

Thank you! I will research it now.

Katy, TX
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat??

Thanks so much!

Orange, California
Level Contributor
414 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat??

If you want to go to Santa Cruz, you can eat on the pier if you want, there is some nice seafood places there, But mostly the view is nice, Also a Pizza My Heart in Santa Cruz as well :-)

Katy, TX
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat??

Thanks again! We are so excited to be going to Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur. In fact, this will be my first time to California!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,711 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat??

Since you will be starving when you arrive, I would definitely eat before heading to Santa Cruz. Between SJ and SC is a mountain range and the road is pretty curvey. I wouldn't want to make that drive for the first time on an empty stomach. Some concentration is necesary.

The Pruneyard is a good choice because it is easy and right on your way - it is on the way and there are quite a few restaurants to choose from, mostly chains, but pretty good. Hobies is a local chain and has consistently good food. If you are interested in Turkish food, Cafe Artamis is great.

Downtown Campbell is on the west side of the freeway (opposite side as the Pruneyard - also very close to the freeway) and has several good choices - these are mostly independent restaurants. Campbell Avenue has the highest concentration. Stacks (as mentioned above) is on this street.

Katy, TX
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat??

Thank you so much - I think we'll eat in Campbell - seems to be the consensus:) Don't need to be driving around in the mountains (and possibly get lost!) with low blood sugar, lol.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,240 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to eat??

I agree that the Pruneyard or Campbell would be a good place to catch lunch after your fllght.

Here is a traveler's article about Santa Cruz.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g33048-c133677/Santa-…

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,711 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to eat??

Don't worry about getting lost in the mountains - you basically can't. When you are leaving the SJ airport, follow the signs for Hwy 880 south. Hwy 880 turns into Hwy 17 (no interchange, just a highway name change). You follow Hwy 17 over the mountains and into Santa Cruz. Other than your pit stop for lunch, you will stay on the same road all the way from the aiport to Santa Cruz. Very easy.

Get answers to your questions about San Jose