We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clueless about San Jose, Ca

Pacific Junction...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Clueless about San Jose, Ca

Heading to San Jose in May on as girls trip. Looking for inexpensive place to stay but nice at the same time. Would like to be close to some attractions if possible. Would like to find a place close to or under 100.00 a night. Any suggestions. Never been to California before.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Clueless about San Jose, Ca

The Holiday Inn Central City is several miles south of Downtown San Jose. It gets good reviews on Tripadvisor, but it only has 30 reviews, a relatively small number.Its walkscore is only 42 (out of 100), meaning that there's basically very little you can walk to. In a similar price range, you could stay at the Four Points in the heart of Downtown San Jose or the Arena Hotel on the edge of Downtown, both highly rated on Tripadvisor.

There are of course nicer parts and grittier parts of San Jose, but San Jose is a significantly lower crime city than either San Francisco or Oakland. The problem in San Jose is that you could find yourself in a desolate location with nothing but parking lots around you.

Pacific Junction...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Clueless about San Jose, Ca

Thanks for all the great advice. No to Holiday Inn express, I guess. Thanks for the heads up on that one. Don't really have anything planned except to visit with the son, but I do want to go to SF and check that city out. We both like to dance and drink so I'm sure we'll being doing that also. I like museums and planning to check out a couple of those now that I know about them. Pretty much open to idea of things to do. Sounds like downtown would be a place to visit. I'm going to contact chamber of commerce for SJ and see if I can get a city map and some things to do listings, also. It's hard to make plans to stay somewhere when I have know idea about the area. Love all the help I'm getting from everyone on TA. Have given me some helpful advice. Will check kayak.com and bing travel on air prices. One thing I know were planning is visiting 6 flags.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Clueless about San Jose, Ca

Here's a link for the San Jose Downtown Association--transit and hotels are both listed under "Go Play," go figure. http://www.sjdowntown.com/Home.html

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,898 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Clueless about San Jose, Ca

Another helpful hint: Get Mom to have her son be the tour guide for the sightseeing, or to come into San Francisco on a day or two, as his time permits.

8^)

Pacific Junction...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Clueless about San Jose, Ca

Thanks for the link,going to check it out. Son will probably be a guide for a couple days, I hope. Thanks again for all the advice. Still shopping for airfare but think I might have that locked in, hotel is next and am looking at several.

26. Re: Clueless about San Jose, Ca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, January 13, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Jose