We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute getaway, what to do Friday night?

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Last minute getaway, what to do Friday night?

Hello everyone, great advice on this forum. My wife and I recently moved to Sacramento. We are driving down to a birthday party in Cupertino on Sat afternoon and decided to rent a hotel in San Jose on Friday night. This is our first time in San Jose; we are an early 30's couple and don't enjoy the bar scene much. I have too questions: 1. Any suggestions on what to do Friday night (we'll get there around 7:30 - 8 pm) and Saturday morning?. 2. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced nice hotel?

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute getaway, what to do Friday night?

For hotels in Downtown San Jose, try the Montgomery, a Joie De Vivre hotel, or the De Anza, both nice, moderate sized somewhat historic properties. You might check if either San Jose Repertory Theatre or the San Jose Opera is performing that night.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute getaway, what to do Friday night?

Good suggestions and I can also highly recommend the Hotel St. Claire which is a lovely restored historical property also in the heart of downtown. There are a number of fine restaurants in the area, my favorites (you can google all of them for more info):

- Paolos - upscale Italian, a bit pricey but definitely worth it. You can walk there from the St Claire.

- 71 St. Peter - excellent Mediterranean bistro, a drive from St Claire but a walk from DeAnza (if you stay at the DeAnza, which is lovely, I would steer you away from the on-property restaurant. It is beautiful but the food is not very good. On the other hand, the bar there is the most civilized in the south bay [IMO] and usually features live music after 8 or 9 pm. I know you aren't into the bar scene, but this is more like a music scene then)

- McCormick and Schmicks - a seafood restaurant chain that can be either quite good or not so much, depending on what you order. Can't go wrong with the salmon. It's a gorgeous spot, walking distance from St. Claire.

There is also a movie theater called Camera 12 on Second St that is easily accessible from any of the hotels mentioned in this thread.

Saturday morning is a bit of a stumper. This is Silicon Valley. Everyone is either asleep or entertaining their kids then. You could go with the SV theme and visit the Tech Museum, I think they open at 10:00 am. Or you could go really crazy and hit the World Famous San Jose Flea Market.

Hopefully some other posters have some additional ideas!

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,989 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute getaway, what to do Friday night?

I'm the opposite of kimsanjose.

Saturday is a no-brainer to me. Friday is the stumper. Friday nights I usually get a good swim workout because the pools are empty. I'm not sure where everybody else went, but I'm not complaining. Incomprehensibly, I'm too exhausted on Fridays to do anything other than a massive swim workout. You'll probably arrive too late on Friday to catch any of the Sharks game on tv.

Saturday, I'd go for a hike in the hills (Castle Rock SP is just above Saratoga. San Antonio Ranch & Black Mountain are just above Cupertino.). Saturday mornings also have farmer's markets at downtown Sunnyvale and Mountain View if you just want a leisurely stroll. But the coolest thing in my mind is a picnic and/or wine-tasting at Ridge on Montebello Rd above Cupertino. It's only open on weekends. IMO, they have the best zins in the world. (no exaggeration).

With hotels, you're in business. The ones around here mostly cater to the business travellers which means weekends are quite the bargain. I like the Hilton Garden Inn in Mountain View (Hwy 85 at El Camino Rl--very convenient to freeways to Cupertino or back to Sacramento). HGI has a nice breakfast available in the morning.

Edited: 6:59 pm, May 19, 2010
Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,989 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute getaway, what to do Friday night?

Oh yah. There are fun nice meals that can be had in the Mountain View-Sunnyvale area. Sunnyvale has Rok Bistro (think of a sizzling hot rock on which to cook various things), Kabul (astoundingly good afghan food), Pezzala's (great Italian food), Palace BBQ (Korean BBQ buffet), lots of Indian food (authentic atmosphere Madras or more posh options), Pho Quyen (simple Vietnamese place), Casa Lupe (my favorite Mexican food in the area), Chalateca (Salvadoran fast food), Thai Basil, etc. Half of these are literally across the street from Hilton Garden Inn. A little farther but still within a 20 minute walk are a bunch of restaurants on Castro St, Mountain View.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute getaway, what to do Friday night?

DarthAnonymous, you are spot on! Great suggestions for Sat morning outings, all of them perfect. I concur (as do the wine experts) with your "perfect zin" comments about Ridge.

Guess I need to get up earlier on the weekends :-)

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute getaway, what to do Friday night?

The whole Silicon Valley area is great for food. Three San Jose choices--Vung Tau on East Santa Clara St. for Vietnamese, Gombei in Japantown for moderately priced Japanese food in a homey setting; and Mezcal for Mexican (Oaxacan) in Downtown San Jose.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
414 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute getaway, what to do Friday night?

If you head to the Pruneyard inn, or Campbell inn in near by Campbell, there is shopping, and lots of restaurants and a theatre nearby. Walk down to Stacks for the best bfast in the bay area. If you are down town see what is plaaying at the concert hall or the center for performing arts.

8. Re: Last minute getaway, what to do Friday night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 18, 2010