We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lunch

Delafield
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
lunch

We get into San Jose on Tue and traveling to Monterey to spend a couple of nights. We have the entertainment book, and I'm looking for some suggestions on where to stop for lunch and or dinner on our journey to Monterey. Thanks in advance

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lunch

In my experience, the entertainment book for the San Jose area is a worthless piece of junk (unlike the counterpart publication for many other parts of the US). Most of the restaurants listed in that book either don't honor the coupons, are terrible, or just no longer exist. I'd call ahead to double check on any of them. A few have worked okay but I don't know if they're still listed: Nicolino's, Frankie Johnnies Luigis Too, Il Postale, Mexicali grill, etc.

There was a coupon in there for the Monterey Bay Aquarium a few years back. If it's still in there, it works okay.

Between San Jose and Monterey, there's an In N Out Burger and other fast food at the Outlets in Gilroy, just off Hwy 101. There's better food to be had in Monterey. I'd try to get out of San Jose before the southbound traffic gets thick with commuters during afternoon rush hour. Otherwise, find some a good dinner in San Jose (lots of options downtown) and wait out the traffic.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lunch

Is your Entertainment Book for San Jose or Monterey? I'm not too familiar with San Jose retaurants, but if you have the Monterey Book and can mention some restaurant names you're considering, I can probably comment on those. I agree with Darth, though, that the restaurants in some of those books are pretty mediocre. If the timing works for you, wait until you get to Monterey, where you'll have a good choice of restaurants, including Red House Cafe in Pacific Grove (my favorite); Tarpy's Roadhouse on Hwy 68 in Monterey, near the airport; for moderately-priced seafood in a casual atmosphere, Sea Harvest in Monterey.

The only places I know between San Jose and Monterey are either chains (Marie Callendar in Morgan Hill--Cochrane Rd.) or In-n-Out Burger in Morgan Hill or Gilroy. There are probably places that the locals eat, but I;m not familiar with them.

Delafield
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lunch

We have both books. (San Jose and Monterey) We leave Milwaukee at 6am and land in San Jose around 10:30. We won't be able to wait till dinner to eat. due to the time change.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lunch

10:30 am is a great time because you'll have missed the morning traffic. It should be smooth sailing, and you can be in Monterey in an hour and 15 minutes once you're in your car. I'd advise you to bring some snacks you can have to tide you over until you get down here. Then you can have a nice, relaxed lunch before checking into your hotel. What are some of the Monterey area restaurants in your Monterey book that serve lunch?

Edited: 7:36 pm, April 12, 2010
Delafield
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lunch

Here is a couple of restaurants

Las Palmas, Giancarlo's (Morgan Hill)

Red Brick Pizza (Gilroy)

El Mariachi , Characters Sports Bar & Grill, Pelican pizza, Mexi-Cali, Lopez, Bulldog British Pub, (Monterey)

Thanks for all of you help. I can't wait to see the wonderful area there.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lunch

I can't comment on most of these places, but I'd say do yourself a favor and have a really great lunch at Red House Cafe (except on Monday when they're closed). Two people can eat there for $25 or less, and the quality will be so much better than what you get at the pubs and the pizza place. http://www.redhousecafe.com/ After lunch, you can walk two blocks to the water and stroll along the recreation trail that runs along the bay. The ice plant will be in bloom, making a carpet of pink. It's stunning.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lunch

Another budget spot is El Torito, on the waterfront near Cannery Row in Monterey. It's a chain, but the management and chef at this one are really superb; fabulous food and you get a good view of the water.

Unfortunately, there's a reason that the restaurants that offer "deals" in these discount books do so -- they can't drum up business any other way. You're travelling a long way to see the area, no reason to spoil the experience by eating somewhere mediocre or worse.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lunch

We had a window spot at El Torito a few months back. It is a million dollar view of the bay. We had a school of Dolphins go by, a whale and the usual otters and seals etc.. The food is OK (taco salad is good) but it is priced right and parking is free.

9. Re: lunch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 11, 2010