We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental at SJC

Round Hill VA
Level Contributor
79 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental at SJC

I'll be arriving at SJC at midnight in the middle of July. Is it possible to pickup a car at that hour? Also, the rental rates seem much higher than I remember. With discounts, Hertz quoted me a price of $449.00 for 8 days which is about $200.00 more than what I paid two years ago. I've rented cars in PA, VA and PR in the past year and never paid close to that price. Is it a CA thing? Does anyone know what you will get if you go through priceline?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental at SJC

I can't report on Priceline and Hotwire offers, but I can confirm that the high prices you are seeing at SJC are correct. We have had several people post here over the past couple months talking about how expensive rental cars are from SJC.

Are you going straight to a hotel after you arrive? If so, can you book with a hotel that has an airport shuttle (make sure it's running!)? That way you can just pick up your car in the morning, and try any of the rental locations in downtown. When I lived in SJ, for example, the Enterprise rental location downtown was always quite a bit cheaper than the SJC location (roughly $25/day vs. $40/day back in 2006).

texas
Level Contributor
93 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental at SJC

I just priced a car for 8 days out of SJC for around $200 with Fox Rental.

I looked up Fox car rental, reviews not very good.

Has anyone on here used Fox?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental at SJC

I would be hesitant to use Fox. In fact, I never did while residing in San Jose because, despite the cheap prices, I was underwhelmed by the Web site and reservation system. I found the local Enterprise to be just a couple bucks more expensive, although I am aware that the price difference at the airport itself is kind of high.

See here: www.yelp.com/biz/fox-rent-a-car-inc-san-jose

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental at SJC

I used Fox when renting a car in San Diego and delivering it to SJC. By far the cheapest and had no problems at all with the rental.

5. Re: Car Rental at SJC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 31, 2009