We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in San Jose Area

Green Bay
Level Contributor
9 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in San Jose Area

Hi- I will be spending 6 days, flying into San Jose this summer with my 14 year old. I would like to spend at least 1 day in San Francisco. Other thoughts are: Yosemite and the beach. Any suggestions on things to definitely see or do? Is there enough time to go to both San Francisco and Yosemite in 6 days?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in San Jose Area

Have you been here before? If not, I recommend dedicating 4 days to SF and 2 days to Yosemite. Alternatively, you could dedicate 3 days to SF, 1 day to Santa Cruz (beach), and 2 days in Yosemite. Any way you slice it, as you can see, I've included 0 days in San Jose.

Before you get too excited about Yosemite, be sure to check on accommodations. They are notoriously difficult to come by during peak season. Also, I hope you plan on renting a car for all portions of your trip *except* the days you spend in SF itself. You will not want to drive--and you will especially not want to try parking--in SF.

In Santa Cruz, be sure to visit the Beach Boardwalk. In SF, there are a plethora of popular destinations, such as Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge, and Golden Gate Park. There is a wealth of information here in the SF and SC forums (and Yosemite forum) to help you plan your visit. Enjoy!

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in San Jose Area

Contrary to the above, SF bores me to death. I'd spend 5 days in the Sierras, and the rest of the time getting to it and back. A few days can be spent in Yosemite. If you want a beach, Lake Tahoe is very pretty in the summer. For something closer to Yosemite, maybe you can see Mono Lake.

The water on the California Pacific coast is freezing cold, so water temperature is kind of irrelevant in California.

But what exactly do you want to see and do?

N California
Level Contributor
523 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in San Jose Area

It depends a lot on what you like. A day trip to SF can cover the highlights, but you can easily spend several days there if scenic (though sometimes gritty) city is your thing.

I tend to prefer the natural beauty of N Cal, so if it were me, I'd probably spend one day in SF, one at Big Basin (redwoods) and Santa Cruz (beach and Boardwalk - water will be cold), one in Monterey/Carmel, and probably two days for Yosemite, with the last day added to wherever you enjoyed the most. Yosemite is a very long day trip from Bay Area, you probably would want to spend at least one night there or nearby.

The Tech Museum in San Jose is pretty good, other stuff (Winchester house, Great America, Rosicrucian Museum) are not high priority visits in my mind. Concerts at Mountain Winery and Villa Montalvo have great settings, but you'd have to find one that fits your interests and has tickets available.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in San Jose Area

Certainly SF is less boring than Sunnyvale! I always have to have extra strong coffee on hand when I drive through Sunnyvale so I don't fall asleep at the wheel. ;)

Seriously, though, time allotment does depend on interests (city vs. nature, etc.). You might be able to get a day's worth of stuff out of San Jose, but that may be a stretch. And that coming from a guy who lived there for 2 years!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,924 posts
6,060 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in San Jose Area

You can drive from San Jose to Big Sur in a day and return

http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/

seeing Monterey/Carmel.

You can also make a really quick trip and go to

Santa Cruz Boardwalk.

http://www.beachboardwalk.com/

Yosemite can be done in an overnight or 2 nights - best to have acommodations booked in advance.

San Francisco can be a day trip from San Jose.

Yes, you can do the beach,San Francisco, and Yosmite in a 6 day trip.....but decide in advance if it is just one night or are you trying for one full day in Yosemite (two nights)in advance.

Have a good trip.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days in San Jose Area

First of all, I'd suggest you post this on the SF board. I realize you're flying into San Jose but that board doesn't have many regulars. From the title of your post, I thought you had a reason for being in San Jose. It appears that's just the airport you're using.

Getting to Yosemite and how long you stay there will very much depend upon whether you can find lodging up there or not. It books up a year in advance and the available areas outside the park book up early too. Take a look at the Yosemite board as there's a lot of advice about how to monitor for cancellations,etc.

You may have to schedule Yosemite and plan everything else around it.

I'd suggest a least a night in SF. It's a great deal of fun and I think your teen will love it.

I'd also suggest Santa Cruz. There's a historic beach boardwalk there which is fun. Yes, the water's cold but it's still fun. And a real California beach! Our Santa Cruz expert monitors the SF board so if you post there, I'm sure she'll chime in.

7. Re: 6 days in San Jose Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:31 am, December 04, 2009