We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with clean, classy hotel in safe neighborhood

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with clean, classy hotel in safe neighborhood

My husband and I will be flying in to San Jose (Santa Cruz) for a wedding in late June. This will be our first visit in San Jose area and we would like to make it a pleasure trip since we will be there for the weekend. Can anyone recommand a clean, nice hotel to us while we are there? It will be great if there are restaurants and shops within hotel walking distance. One thing that we are really concern about is safety. Is downtown pretty safe to walk around? Anything to do if we stay at the airport hotel? Or should we go to places like Santana Row? There don't seem to be any hotels there other than Hotel Valencia which seems quite pricy.

Will greatly appreciate it if anyone can give us some pointers. I don't travel much because of my health. I am really looking forward to the trip. Thanks in advance.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,584 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with clean, classy hotel in safe neighborhood

Ummmm...you are flying into San Jose and then staying there overnight for a Santa Cruz wedding?

I am confused

If you want a safe hotel in San Jose, try the Fairmont. If you want a safe hotel in Santa Cruz, then let me know that.

You do understand that there is a travel time between the two, over the summit of the Santa Cruz mountains?

Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with clean, classy hotel in safe neighborhood

Thanks for the fast reply. Sorry that I didn't make things clear. Yes, we will be attending a wedding on June 29 and we plan to arrive San Jose (by plane) on June 27. We thought that the hotels are more expensive at Santa Cruz? We were hoping that we could spend some time at San Jose, it seems to be a good place to visit. So it is a long ride from San Jose to Sants Cruz? I thought that maybe it was only about a half hour or so? I gathered that Fairmont is a good hotel but it is one of the more expensive hotels, right? Any tips on good, clean hotels in a safe area? Or would you suggest we stay closer to Santa Cruz instead? If so, which cities should we look into?

Thanks again for writing.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,584 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with clean, classy hotel in safe neighborhood

It is only about 45 minutes from San Jose to Santa Cruz, but the drive is not one I would like to make after a wedding reception if I had imbibed....even wine. It is a winding road for about 10 miles.

Tell me the location of the wedding. There are some nice places to stay near the beach in areas like Capitola and Rio del Mar. Or, there is a nice Best Western All Suites Inn two blocks from the main street of Santa Cruz, Pacific Avenue, which has oodles of restaurants, most with sidewalk cafes, if you choose, and is a safe and pretty tree-lined street.

Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with clean, classy hotel in safe neighborhood

Unfortunately, we will have to drive back to the airport to catch a flight home after the wedding. So it doesn't matter if we stay at San Jose or Santa Cruz, we will still have to do the drive since the wedding is at Santa Cruz. A friend suggested that we stay at San Francisco, but I think it is an even longer drive. That's why we are trying to find some nice place to stay and visit that is in between the airport and the surfer town.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,584 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with clean, classy hotel in safe neighborhood

Then I gather you are flying home directly from the wedding. OK. Drive carefully. Sorry I can't help you with lodgings in San Jose. I am sure others can.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,584 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with clean, classy hotel in safe neighborhood

I can't help this....

Please do not call Santa Cruz "the surfer town". It has surfers, yes, and it has an amusement park, the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, but it also has an important campus of the University of California, on 2400 gorgeous acres of meadows and redwoods. Which has faculty members who were extremely important in the Genome project and a female astronaut. Its scientists in physics and biology are the most cited than any others in the academic world, and it has one of the great observatories, Lick.

For what it's worth.

Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with clean, classy hotel in safe neighborhood

Thanks for writing. I really am sorry calling Santa Cruz the surfer town. I didn't mean it in a bad way. I read a while back that Huntington Beach, CA was trying to grab the title or something. I thought that it was a compliement. I am aware of the excellent schools, redwood forest and everything up at Santa Cruz since I had visited the area long time ago. As I have stated earlier, I have some health problems that prevent me from participating in some of the fun, physical activities, that's why we are trying to take it easy and do something that it is real casual. Also, We were just trying to visit a town that we have never been to.

My apology again. Also, thanks again for everything.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,584 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help with clean, classy hotel in safe neighborhood

It's OK, haily, I guess I am just too sensitive about the opinion out there that we are somehow tacky and uninformed. I also get my back up when the town is referred to as "hippie". Every university town in the 1960's and early 1970's could be called "hippie" because of the rebellion which was going on among the young people of this country over the Vietnam War and what they saw as a culture they could not embrace any more.

Yes, Huntington Beach tried to sue one of our T-shirt manufacturers over using the term "Santa Cruz, Surfing Capitol". It was quite amusing. I don't remember how it all came out.

And we do love our surfers, but there is a whole lot more to us.

Do enjoy the wedding and have a safe drive back over the hill to San Jose. What is the wedding location? I will wish for great weather for you.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,989 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help with clean, classy hotel in safe neighborhood

If you're still looking for a hotel in the San Jose area, somewhere between Santa Cruz & San Jose airport, try:

(1) Los Gatos Hotel. It's pricy like Hotel Valencia but in a less pretentious location, but still quite tony with restaurants, etc. This is right off of Hwy 880 (or Hwy 17 depending on what you call it) on the direct path from Santa Cruz to San Jose airport.

(2) Downtown Campbell/Pruneyard has more modestly priced options in a fantastic location. Xilinx Corporation routinely puts visitors up at the Pruneyard Plaza Hotel. None of the visitors kick and scream in resistance so that could be a good place. I used to put family up at the Campbell Inn which is cheaper. It's been a few years so I'm not sure if it's still as good as it used to be. Townplace Suites is across the street from Campbell Inn. It's much newer. These three are all also right off of Hwy 880 (or Hwy 17 depending on what you call it) on the direct path from Santa Cruz to San Jose airport. Take the Hamilton Ave exit.

Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help with clean, classy hotel in safe neighborhood

DarthAnonymous and Puter

Thanks so much for both your input. I cannot thank you enough. I am now trying to decide between Moorpark Hotel and Hotel Los Gatos. I am so thankful for forums like this. It really helps me out. I am always afraid to go away (it doesn't help when my wallet was stolen during my last trip even though we did stay at a very nice hotel).

Now I feel ready for my trip! Puter, thanks for the good weather wish. Bless you both for offering precious time and advice to lost souls like myself!