We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose with friends (ages 18- 20)

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairfield,CA
1 post
Save Topic
San Jose with friends (ages 18- 20)

I'm currently planning a trip down to San Jose with friends. We already booked a room at the doubletree hotel and now trying to find options on transportation other than a cab. (Since we're taking the amtrak there) Is there ways to go around San Jose and the surrounding area without a car.(Since obviously we cannot rent a car) We plan to go to see the Winchester Mansion and probably to the beach. Any tips on things to do?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,989 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose with friends (ages 18- 20)

Doubletree next to San Jose airport?

Keywords: Santa Clara Valley Transit Authority (VTA).

You're just a block's worth of walking from First Street and the Light Rail that runs that corridor.

To get to the Winchester Mystery House, you can take the Light Rail to San Carlos St/Convention Center in downtown SJ and take VTA bus 23 down San Carlos St/Stevens Creek Blvd to Winchester Ave. You'll be at Valley Fair Shopping Center/Santana Row. The Winchester Mystery House is a 0.5 mile walk south from there.

To get to the beach, take that same Light Rail to another downtown SJ stop at the Santa Clara station maybe. Walk east to San Fernando and 7th to catch the Highway 17 express bus all the way to its terminus, just a couple blocks from the ocean at Santa Cruz.

Downtown SJ's got a lot to do. There's a lot of clubbing and some concerts if you're into that. San Jose State might have some sports venues/concerts/etc going. There are the occasional festivals too.

By the Winchester Mystery House is Santana Row. Some people think it's heaven on earth. I just see it as hoity toity retail/dining.

What do you like doing?

If I had a fraction of Bill Gates' fortune, I'd install gondolas (like you find in Ticino, Italy and other places) for you against the mountain sides of the valley for access to mountain biking/hiking trails/restaurants for people who don't care for driving. I'd also put a few tea houses and grottos up there. Sorry, I don't believe gondolas are for horses.

California
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose with friends (ages 18- 20)

IMO the Winchester Mystery House is not worth the time or money.

Without a car, I would highly recommend staying somewhere other than near the airport. Try downtown, or since it was mentioned there is also a hotel in Santana Row which is convenient to shopping, restaurants & transportation.

3. Re: San Jose with friends (ages 18- 20)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:54 pm, August 27, 2007
4. Re: San Jose with friends (ages 18- 20)

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:40 am, December 06, 2007
SF Bay Area
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: San Jose with friends (ages 18- 20)

i'm assuming you'll be arriving at the downtown train station. from this station you can also catch the Caltrain up to San Francisco. The last stop puts you right at AT&T Park, where the Giants play. From there you can take the bus or BART around town. you can also check out some of the stops along the way, i would recommend getting off in downtown Palo Alto. lots of cool shops and restaurants there.

and i'm pretty sure you can also catch the HWY 17 commuter bus to Santa Cruz from this same station. might want to goggle that to be sure.

otherwise VTA is a good option for getting around San Jose and Campbell (which might be worth a visit.) Cabs are easy to catch if you get desperate though, but the fares are pretty high compared to cabs fares in other big cities.

have fun.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: San Jose with friends (ages 18- 20)

kitty55 said «IMO the Winchester Mystery House is not worth the time or money.»

I vehemently disagree. It is fascinating to hear and lovely to see. I've visited it several times and might again, some day.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: San Jose with friends (ages 18- 20)

why do my posts keep getting deleted!?

Be sure to check out club raw downtown.

8. Re: San Jose with friends (ages 18- 20)

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 9:20 am, September 17, 2009