We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need family fun hotel, nice pool? in bay area

Belmont, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
need family fun hotel, nice pool? in bay area

Help- we will be flying into San Jose Sunday July 1 and will need a place to stay for up to 5 days until movers arrive with our stuff for relocation We will be travelling with our 4 month old, 4 year old, myself, hubby and mom.Oh and our cat but we can ditch her at the house that we will be staying in for the next 3 months. I am wondering if there are -any- fun hotels for family in the area or at least one with nice enough pool. I'm not sure even if the weather is pool weather. We have stayed at the Plaza suites without cat and mom and it was fine since it had the one bedroom setup with a sink and fridge and micro but would rather someplace a little less corporate and with a pool kiddies. I don't think there are any real 'resorts' around-we are coming from Arizona so the choices here are endless. I've been searching and searching on line but can't quite find a place that would be fun. We can't go up to the city becasue we need to be around the area for house stuff. Any leads ? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
California
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need family fun hotel, nice pool? in bay area

Sorry, but the closest "resort" I can think of is in Aptos. "Silicon Valley" isn't a typical vacation destination so there are tons of business oriented places to stay but no family-fun types.

Many extended stay and suite hotels have decent pools but nothing fun like waterslides. I'd just pick one near to the area you'll be living and go to fun places during the day.

Good luck!

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need family fun hotel, nice pool? in bay area

July 1 happens in 30 minutes while I write this but...

There is a Raging Waters Theme Park in SJ but I don't know much about that. You can Google it for more information. Several places around town have large public pools too, but they're really not water parks either.

The San Jose area here isn't as warm as the Phoenix area. You might find it a bit chilly to be lounging around poolside except during the occasional heatwave here.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need family fun hotel, nice pool? in bay area

Fun hotels. That would be Joie de Vivre hotels, I'd guess.

Here's a list of their hotels:

http://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/

Specifically, check out Wild Palms in Sunnyvale. It has a pool, though I don't know how big.

Closer to "resort like" -- although maybe just "corporate suburban" might be the Holiday Inn on North First Street in San Jose, not far from the airport. I've gone there for a couple of meetings and the pool area is spacious and resort-feeling. Not real fancy, but very relaxed, pleasant garden area. When a work colleague got demoted to a crappy job, I took her over there to have a glass of wine, poolside, and we both kicked off our shoes and hung out on the deck chairs and pretended we were on vacation.

Going about 10 miles north towards Palo Alto, perhaps the Radisson Cabana Hotel would give you that feel, though these pictures don't really show it very well:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/sfoca?CP;jsessionid=3KUQD2YL35BUOCTGWANSHPQKM0YBGIY4&_franchisee=SFOCA&_requestid=135214

The Stanford Park Hotel in Menlo Park might also give you more of that resort feel:

http://www.stanfordparkhotel.com/

Check out the pictures of the pool area. It has a courtesy shuttle to nearby Stanford Shopping Center and Stanford University, or downtown Palo Alto. You could walk to the shopping center if you wanted, it's close enough.

Back in San Jose, perhaps the Valencia Hotel might qualify as resort like in an ersatz-urban way. Plenty to do right outside your door, anyway:

…hotelvalencia.com/san-jose-santana-row-home…

I do not think it has a pool, however.

Mentioned in this post
Sunnyvale
Sunnyvale
California
Palo Alto
Palo Alto
California
Menlo Park
Menlo Park
California
4. Re: need family fun hotel, nice pool? in bay area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, September 05, 2009