We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monterrey - Carmel

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Monterrey - Carmel

We will be flying into San Jose next Thurs to Sun.

We're planning to spend most of the time in Santa Cruz, Monterrey, Carmel and driving down to Big Sur.

I'm thinking we should stay in Seaside or Monterrey, any suggestions on that? Mid price, not too expensive.

We do want to see the Winchester Museum in San Jose.

Also the Roaring Camp Railroad train ride in Felton

Ano Nuevo St. Park and also boardwalk in Santa Cruz.

Looking for anything else along that route from Santa Cruz to Big Sur that would be worthwhile, and also any great restaurants not to be missed.

Have a 12 yr. old daughter.

Thank you.

Level Contributor
34,218 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monterrey - Carmel

The Monterey Beach Hotel is reasonably priced and nice, it is a Best Western property located right on the beach. They have a swimming pool and jacuzzi and also a good restaurant on-site. you will have about a 5 minute drive to downtown Monterey. I have some photos posted here of the property. Enjoy your travels! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monterrey - Carmel

You will need reservations for a guided walk at Año Nuevo if you want to see the elephant seals.

anonuevo.reserveamerica.com/avail/search.jsp…

Looks like they are sold out Friday through Sunday.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,989 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monterrey - Carmel

While you're in Santa Cruz, have a look in the surfing museum. It's not every day that you find one of those. It's free admission too.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monterrey - Carmel

I am sorry to tell you this, but you simply do not have enough time to do what you want to do in three days.

Let's say that you have time to do a tour of the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose the day you fly in, Thursday. That takes up a lot of time that Thursday, unless you do a "red eye flight" and plan to get in on the first tour available and then go to Santa Cruz.

Ano Nuevo is at least 30 miles up the coast from Santa Cruz and you need reservations. That pretty much takes up most of Friday. So now we are on Saturday. At this time of year the Boardwalk and Roaring Camp are open only on weekends, with limited hours for Roaring Camp. That takes up Saturday.

Are you flying home on Sunday? No time for Seaside or Monterey or Big Sur.

I wish I could think of a way to make your itinerary possible, but I can't. With three days I would fly in, choose Santa Cruz or Monterey, spend three nights in those areas and have a great time (though a rushed one) before you have to fly home.

Well, wait a minute. I might suggest that you go directly to Monterey when you arrive and spend Thursday night and Friday night there. You could probably dip down on a drive to Big Sur and maybe see the Monterey Bay Aquarium, which I think your daughter would enjoy. And have time to shop in Carmel, and/or drive the 17 mile drive, etc.

Then come back to Santa Cruz (about an hour's drive) on Saturday and see what you can fit in with Roaring Camp and the Boardwalk schedules. Spend the night and fly home on Sunday (is that right?) I hope your Sunday flight is not too early. It takes an hour or less from Santa Cruz to the San Jose airport, but you need to check in early, as you know.

If I can get more local information for you, please let me know. I want you and your daughter to have a great time in our lovely area. Will try to keep the rain away :=).