We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amusement park

Marietta, GA
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Amusement park

Traveling to San Clemente with 3 kids (8, 10, and 11) and am finding that water parks will most likely be closed second week in April. Don't want to pay for Disney. Any suggestions for other amusement parks that may be easily accessible from San Clemente?

Mentioned in this post
San Clemente
San Clemente
Orange County, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amusement park

How about Knott's Berry Farm, you can take the Metrolink Train to the Buena Park Station and then one bus (OCTA Route 29 South) to the park. Or if you drive, a drive up Interstate 5 to the 91 freeway, and go one ext east to Beach Blvd. Buy tickets in advance online to save a lot on adult admission.

www.knotts.com

Mentioned in this post
Knott's Berry Farm
Knott's Berry Farm
3,799 Reviews
Buena Park, CA
Buena Park
Buena Park
Orange County, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,010 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amusement park

If you want to look at just the water park, there is the Legoland Water park about 30 miles South in Carlsbad

…legoland.com/en/explore/Water-Park/ It will be open daily through April 21st

There is a K1 speedway racetrack in Carlsbad as well as other locations within CA including 2 in OC in Irvine and Anaheim

Mentioned in this post
LEGOLAND California
LEGOLAND California
6,589 Reviews
Carlsbad, CA
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
Irvine
Irvine
Orange County, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amusement park

A couple of comments about LEGOLAND, to enter the water park, you have to buy admission to the main Theme Park, and then an add-on ticket to the water park, so it is about the same price as Disneyland. (Knott's is less than half the price if bought in advance, less than $40 for Adults).

Also, without a rental vehicle, LEGOLAND is not easily accessable if using Public Transit.

Mentioned in this post
LEGOLAND California
LEGOLAND California
6,589 Reviews
Carlsbad, CA
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,577 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amusement park

April is not really waterpark season as it is relatively cold in Southern California. That is why the parks you checked are probably closed for service. They are getting ready for the summer season.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,010 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amusement park

From what I understand around 73 bucks buys you a 2 day ticket online to the Legoland and waterpark but Disney which really cannot be done in one day and needs at least 2 or 3 would not be the same price

But yes if you purchase a one day ticket at both, you will get the second day free at Legoland but only one day at disneyland.

But I am no expert and I differ to happytotrip and redland.. who are the experts here.

I personally would suggest going to Knotts or Disney over lego but if the waterpark is needed, then that would be the option.

Edited: 8:01 pm, March 20, 2013
Mentioned in this post
LEGOLAND California
LEGOLAND California
6,589 Reviews
Carlsbad, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amusement park

I know that Redhead Redlands hasn't been to LEGOLAND, and I doubt Happy to Trip has.

On the other hand, I have been to the park multiple times.

So we have Disneyland at $87, LEGOLAND at $73 and Knott's at $37 (Online tickets for adults). Seems like a big difference in price, which was mentioned by the OP as an important factor.

Mentioned in this post
LEGOLAND California
LEGOLAND California
6,589 Reviews
Carlsbad, CA
Marietta, GA
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amusement park

Thank you! Looks like we can't get tickets for just the Lego water park. Kids really only want the water rides but park hopper is too expensive. I'll check out your other recommendations!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amusement park

I know you said "easily accessible", but Knott's Soak City in Palm Springs is already open for Spring Break, then weekends after that until Memorial Day Weekend.

http://www.soakcityps.com/hours-directions

Admission is about $25 per person if bought in advance online.

Alas, it is a fairly long drive from San Clemente, and I wouldn't try the trip using public transit. (Though it is doable with a combination of an Amtrak Train to Fullerton and transferring to an Amtrak Thruway bus that runs twice a day to Palm Springs).

So that might be an option if you are willing to drive.

Note, the Knott's Soak City in Buena Park is closed, and won't open until late May.

Edited: 8:35 pm, March 20, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
San Clemente
San Clemente
Orange County, CA
Buena Park
Buena Park
Orange County, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,010 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amusement park

>>>So we have Disneyland at $87, LEGOLAND at $73 and Knott's at $37 (Online tickets for adults). Seems like a big difference in price, which was mentioned by the OP as an important factor.

You are absolutely right. Price is a factor and as I mentioned I would do Knotts and Disney over lego but if water park is the request as mentioned by the OP TWICE, then, Knott's Soak city is not open until May. 2013 soakcityoc.com/hours-directions/park-hours so the only choices as far as I see it are those 3 mega theme parks

Other experts in the Orange County area including the DE for Orange County ScottCA may have other ideas

Mentioned in this post
Orange County
Orange County
California
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,506 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amusement park

This is just My personal opinion, but....Im just going to add, that you usually get what you pay for... Imo Disneyland is worth the extra since there is so much to see and do, its an amazing Park. Lets just put it this way... I have been to Knotts once, while I cant count the times I have been to Disneyland.

And btw, I have not been to Legoland either, as I dont think you do get what you pay for there, its too expensive for whats offered.

Mentioned in this post
LEGOLAND California
LEGOLAND California
6,589 Reviews
Carlsbad, CA