We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to rent Bodyboards?

Which San Clemente hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Where to rent Bodyboards?

What surf shop should we rent from or can we rent from the pier? Anyone know how much I should expect the daily rental to be? or if there is a discount if we rent the whole week we are there?

Thanks

Julie

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,172 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to rent Bodyboards?

Have no idea about the bodyboards but if you are staying in a hotel they may be able to hook you up.

By the way, the really popular and fun Ocean Festival is held this year on July 21 & 22.

If you are there at that time try to attend...... http://www.oceanfestival.org/

Dr. Z

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to rent Bodyboards?

There are shops across the street from the San Clemente pier that rent boogie boards and surfboards. Make sure you look at the signs on the beach because surfers have a designated area (near the pier) and boogie boarders and swimmers have another area.

Another idea is to take a half day surf lesson. There is a great outfit called JP's Surf Camp located on North Beach in the summer. You can book half day or private lessons, and they'll provide the surf boards. You can walk between the pier area and North Beach on the new beach trail.

We have our own boards so I really don't know the costs.

You didn't ask, but downtown San Clemente has a cute shopping area on Del Mar Blvd. Great outdoor breakfast spot at Cafe Calypso which is outside the old Hotel San Clemente. Great pizza at Selmas on the same street. For views, can't beat the restaurant at the pier but sit in the bar area. Same great views but happy hour prices.

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to rent Bodyboards?

Thanks for the tips.. I grew up in Orange but as a kiddo we tended to go to T-Street in San Clemente for our beach experience... my cousins use to live in the area so we were always going to the beach with them. San Clemente is how I remember california... I love the sleepy surfer town feel of this place, it really makes me relax.

thanks for the tips ... Cafe Calypso is on my list- looks like a cute spot.

There is a place called BC's surf shop that rents for about $15 a day but was wondering if I can find cheaper... if we want to rent the whole week that ads up for 2.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
271 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to rent Bodyboards?

Are you staying at a condo or hotel?

If it is a condo, check with the owners and see if they have some boogie boards. It wouldn't surprise me if they did.

we have them at the place we rent on the big island.

If not, you could always buy some cheap ones at Walmart (there is one in town on pico inland) and then possibly leave them for the next guests.

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to rent Bodyboards?

We are staying in a hotel this visit... I will contact the hotel just to see if they have any left overs too before we bite the bullet. I'm with you on perhaps purchasing a cheap one at walmart or target. It may be cheaper to buy than rent all week.

Thanks

Julie

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to rent Bodyboards?

There's also a Costco in Capo Beach - I know you can buy boogie boards there for not very much. You could also look at the used store next to 7/11 on El Camino Real (can't remember the name) but they tend to have a lot of surf stuff.

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to rent Bodyboards?

Great ideas! Thanks Skatermom!!

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
271 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to rent Bodyboards?

The only down side to trying to get boogie boards from costco is that they are EXTREMELY seasonal. I stopped by there yesterday, and they had almost no beach stuff( and all the board stuff was gone). You may even run into that at Walmart and Target (which is realatively new to San Clemente) to a lesser degree. But at least you can call those before you go there to see if they have them and maybe even get a price.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,606 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to rent Bodyboards?

One more thought, there is a group of Second Hand stores in the Downtown San Clemente area. They might have a few at a good price. And you can always donate it after you are done (And a thought if you buy it new).

thethriftshopper.com/city/…1.htm

And a good way to go "green" and recycle....

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to rent Bodyboards?

Thanks for all the helpful ideas... does anyone know if you can rent body boards from someone by the pier- I heard that some piers in Newport do that?