We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach?

chicago
1 post
Save Topic
Best beach?

We are coming to San Clemente the first week of August and looking for suggestions on which beach to go to? Family of 4 with a 10 yr old & 8 yr old. We like swimming, playing in the sand and relaxing with a book. Never been to the area before and there seems to be a lot to choose from: san clemente state beach, san onofre state beach, calafia beach park, etc.

Any suggestions?

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach?

If it were me I'd go to a different one each day.

Get a parking space at the beach by 10:00 AM.

Get a good street map of Orange County. Buy one when you arrive.

cali
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach?

The beach near the San Clemente pier is definitely the most popular with out-of -owners. Lots of rentals and snacks and pizza and swings and walking on the pier, etc.. I agree with the other post about trying some of the other beaches on different days. Calafia has easy access and a great snack bar, or park at Calafia and walk a couple of hundred of yards north to Riviera or Lausens for a taste of "locals" beaches. San Onofre camp ground has some beautiful beaches known as "trails", ie. "trail one, trail four, etc" . They are a little bit of a hike, but worth it when you get there. San Onofre day use State Park is great for learning how to surf with smaller ridable waves that break farther out so you have more time to try and stand up on your surf board. Not great for just swimming around as there are large rocks under the water that are hard to walk on. You are going to love San Clemente beaches whichever one you chose

San Diego...
Level Contributor
136 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach?

You might be here already, but if not and for future travelers, the idea of a different beach every day is a great one! Each beach in San Clemente has a different flavor, and there are many that after 10 years I still can't find (Hole?). Start at Calafia as it's now the easiest, and in my opinion the cleanest of our beaches. Spend a day at Old Man's in San Onofre State Beach, but get there early. It's surf culture at it's finest. Visit the beach at the pier and park yourself to the south. If you go all the way to the pedestrian overpass this is called T Street. Make a stop at Linda Lane north of the pier, but withing walking distance. You might need a map though to get there. Skip North Beach Entirely.

Enjoy your stay.http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i13627-5_Restaurants_Worth_Eating_at_in_San.html