We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent shark sightings... beaches safe?

Portsmouth, Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Recent shark sightings... beaches safe?

My family will be spending four days in San Clemente. We booked our stay with the beach in mind. I've been following the news re: shark sightings recently and it is a little worrisome. Nobody is planning to swim or surf, but would you consider it safe for children (including a toddler) to splash around in the waves very close to shore? Thanks.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,279 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent shark sightings... beaches safe?

We have very good lifeguards at the beaches.

IF a shark is sighted they are not right at the sand. They are out in the water and everyone is told to get out . Your little ones would not be swimming in the ocean. You will be holding onto them and sharks will not be coming to where they would be getting their feet wet!

Have you had any previous experience in the ocean??

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,003 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent shark sightings... beaches safe?

Stay near a manned lifeguard tower, s/he'll let you know if you need to get out of the water.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,617 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent shark sightings... beaches safe?

Frankly, the waves are more dangerous for toddlers than sharks.

Portsmouth, Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent shark sightings... beaches safe?

Thanks for your reply. I would definitely be holding onto my toddler, but my niece and nephew are 10 and 7, and they would probably want to wade out a little deeper. I had read the report of a woman getting attacked while she was wading, hence the worry.

We are PADI certified and are avid snorkelers, so yes, we do have some experience in the ocean. Not in sharky waters, though. Thank you for asking, though.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent shark sightings... beaches safe?

Stay near a lifeguard tower. They are looking for sharks (and know what they're looking for). If a surfer sees a shark near shore, they will always report it to the tower, and the lifeguards will clear the water.

One thing to know is that the beach here is very gradual, so you can be quite a ways out before you're in up to your neck. Keep an eye on the kids and make sure you tell the older ones never, ever to turn their back to the waves. Also, shuffle your feet, don't step straight down (the "stingray shuffle"). It's very rare but it's something all the kids learn here in school.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent shark sightings... beaches safe?

Look at where the concentration of shark attacks are so far in 2017:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer…

Portsmouth, Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent shark sightings... beaches safe?

I appreciate all your responses. I've learned all that I need to know for now. Thank you. We'll definitely stay close to a lifeguard and be careful of the waves.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent shark sightings... beaches safe?

There is a beach in San Clemente called T Street(Trafalgar) that normally has a gradual slope of sand and a couple lifeguard towers. If I was concerned about sharks but still wanted to play near shore, that would be the beach.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,720 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent shark sightings... beaches safe?

At most OC beaches now, it is not necessary to "stay near a lifeguard tower." At Huntington Beach City and State Beaches, sharks are spotted by guards with huge binoculars in the headquarters high towers and announcements are made from loud speakers that are heard for the entire length of the beach. Signs will then be posted and the beach tower guards will make sure no-one enters the ocean.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent shark sightings... beaches safe?

They have young kids. It's best to stay near the lifeguard tower. Waves are way more danger to the kids than sharks.