We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please please help!!

kansas city,mo
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Please please help!!

We plan on moving to CA in mid march. What areas are relatively safe and not too horribly expensive to live in San Bernardino? We're coming out there next week to house hunt and have no idea which are the good or bad areas! The houses we can afford (up to 220K) all seem to be in a shady part of town. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Danville, CA
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Please please help!!

I just saw a Wall Street Journal article that said that, from an economic perspective, home prices are so out of whack out here that you may be financially better off renting than owning. I don't know about San Bernardino in particular, but where I live, rents, although higher than other parts of the country, certainly have not escalated on the same par as our home prices. You may want to seriously consider taking that nest egg and investing in some secure tax-free bond or something. For years I've been saying that this real estate bubble will have to burst, and the fact that it hasn’t yet doesn't make me a lier. My timeing may be off, but nothing's forever. One of these days it HAS to stop, and considering how inflated prices have become, I believe more than ever it won't just stabilize, but will fall at least in some areas, just like it did in the early 90's in the LA basin. And when that day comes, it'll be the people who bought last who will lose the most.

California
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Please please help!!

50% of San Bernadino is on welfare. That is a fact. It was published in the Press Enterprise five years ago...God only knows what the rate is now. True Redlands is nice, but not without its problems...there were recent murders there last year. it is also the headquarters for a Satanic Cult.

220k not only wont buy you a house, it wont even pay ypur property taxes or a tank of gas(ok I exaggerate)

Anyone coming to California needs to be advised that they will pay more for gas than in any other state, approaching $3 a gallon at a station near you very soon.....Enron brought Calfornia to its knees, yet we are locked in an electricity contract with them, and already have "roving black outs" planned for this summer. Our governor is messing with our schools funding(again), wants to take away the current retirement plans of state, city, and county employees, ans is wanting to give illegal immigrants a drivers license.

Most people are leaving this state.

I hope its a great job that got you here....

I would reccomend Riverside over San Bernadino...but is not without its problems either...

Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Please please help!!

Hi, Ok you guys are effectively scaring me away from moving to California. I have been considering moving out there to teach elementary school but as I am a single parent with one income it doesn't sound like such a great idea anymore. Are there more affordable areas to live in?

California
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Please please help!!

Lived in Crestline for a couple of years, and loved it, except it is a huge hassle commuting!

As for San Bernardino? I'd rather live in a jar of sardines. It's just gross and scary in most places, unfortunately.

Tennessee
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Please please help!!

I know it has been awhile since this has been written but I am trying to find out as much about san bernardino as i can my daughter is moving there this summer to go to school after reading this i am scared for her can you tell me anything about california state or about the conditions of living on campus in the apartments is this unsafe?

16. Re: Please please help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, September 20, 2009