We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for one night?

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay for one night?

Hi, im roadtripping from Vegas to SF and planning to stay the final night in Sacramento after visiting Lake Tahoe and Yosemite, can somewhere advise where to stay in Sacramento?

I've seen the Quality Inn on 15th street as reasonable etc hotel, is this a good/safe location for restaurants & to get a vibe of the city?

I need to be in SF by 11:30am the next day, planning to go via the GGB enroute to SF, is Sacramento to SF doable in say 2-3 hours including a 30min stop to check out the bridge etc?

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for one night?

90 minute drive to SF from Sacramento in good traffic, not morning commute or Sunday come back from vacation afternoons. Add 45 minutes for looking over the GGB from the north side, and pay for your toll beforehand online ($6 via credit card) because there are no toll takers.

So, yes to 3 hours. On 880, you'll have to cut over on highway 37 to highway 101

Most people wouldn't stop in Sacramento for the night, but if you need to be in SF by 11:30 am, I'll give you special dispensation. In an ideal world, you'd stay in SF the previous night. The vibe in Sacramento is nothing compared to San Francisco, all apologies to our sainted governor.

London, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for one night?

Thanks for the prompt reply & info... Im just looking for a major-ish city to stay in between SF & Tahoe & figured Sacramento as the obvious choice as not too far away from SF or to far from Tahoe etc that I can get there late evening without any trouble... Aim to be leaving 9am so assuming I take the suggested route is that possible or should I look closer to SF?

Also is the area I looked at ok to stay, ie nice & friendly, plenty or food places, few sites to see etc?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,327 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for one night?

>>>So, yes to 3 hours. On 880, you'll have to cut over on highway 37 to highway 101<<

Pay attention to this because of you stay on 880 you will be whisked across the San Francisco Bay Bridge. The HWY 37 detour takes you around San Pablo Bay to hook up with Hwy 101 and the GG Bridge.

Hopefully, someone who knows Sac'to will come along to answer your lodging question.

Have a nice trip.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,070 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for one night?

Your hotel selection is "OK" as it's within walking distance to some good restaurants in Midtown, if you need to go find a good restaurant ---- tripjunky is the expert on restaurants in the "foodie-area of Midtown ---- I've not stayed at that hotel but tend to avoid hotels with outside corridors (single female traveler). That one has never appealed to me, just from the outside.

Within a couple blocks of the Quality Inn is the Holiday Inn Express (16th and G) ---- same neighborhood, secure parking, interior corridors, very nice continental breakfast, efficient wireless ---- I've stayed there several times recently and would stay there again. It's a block or so further from the main Midtown restaurants, but same area. I like it and feel my car and I are safe there. You could try either, especially if you're on a budget.

Having commuted for years back-and-forth from Sacramento to the SF Bay Area, I have to ask you ----- where do you need to be in San Francisco by 11:30?

You didn't say what day of the week you were planning on doing this but almost anything can happen. I'd give it 3 hours or more (if the bridge is important to you).

Your route will be back on 15th Street (around the corner, to the south) out to Highway 50/business 80, which will feed into Interstate 80. Someone who has done this more recently might have a better option.

In Vallejo, take 37 toward San Rafael/Novato to 101. There will be slowness there also. At the intersection with 101, go south --- across the GG bridge.

Also, I take all the backroads that route, but it's impossible to explain the backroads here. I hope you have a GPS. I have a shortcut through Vallejo, but it's difficult to explain it here.

Seriously, almost anything could happen in the morning, along the way, so I'd give it as much time as you can spare. Err on the side of "anything can happen."

Have a good road trip.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for one night?

It's a good hotel from what I've heard and plenty of good local dining in the area. The hotel has recently been rehabbed so the rooms are new. The area is safe enough but I wouldn't wander too many blocks north but there isn't much reason to go that way anyway. The restaurants are south.

There's a good dive bar with live music called the Torch Club around the corner from the Quality Inn. There are lots of restaurants on 16th street between J and L streets and also east on J from there. Also check out 18th between Capitol and L.

All these are an easy and safe walk from the Quality Inn...city smarts intact of course.

London, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for one night?

Great advice and help there thanks all...

To answer a few questions and hopefully confirm the above:

I have to drop my rental car off at O'farrell street between 11-11:45 hence the specific time. Day-wise i'll be staying a wed night so will be driving on a thurs morning to SF. Hotels, I picked one which seemed central & that was in my price range ie cheap & cheerful but had ok reviews.

So the Quality Inn sounds like a good choice if its been recently renovated thanks tripjunky, i'll check out the Holiday Inn too tho thanks Marly..Im a mid 30s male so im not too bothered about external corridors but will think about it cheers... I presume the Quality Inn has ok parking?

Route wise, that all makes sense & what I had googlemapped, I was going to try and check out Marin Headlands & the GGB before I drop off the car, should I try and leave a bit earlier? Im a back road driver here in England & well used to city life being from London so should be ok there, would love to know the back routes but think as you say could be too complicated lol

Any recommendations on restaurants, im a veggie, so anything Mexican, chinese/thai, Italian or american with good options appreciated?

Is Old Sacramento worth seeing if I have the time? Hoping to be in the city around 8-9pm at the latest.

London, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for one night?

Had a quick browse around the forum & thinking maybe of staying near Old Sacramento instead, possibly at the Old Vagabond Inn as has good reviews & is located well so wouldnt have to drive anywhere, plus saw a place to eat Fat City, again good reviews etc, is this a better idea for a night in Sacramento, is it a safe & pleasant area?

California
Level Contributor
621 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for one night?

I live here so haven't stayed in any hotels so can't help with that part except to say that if you stay by Old Sac definitely go to the railroad museum. It is a very good museum and I'm not into trains. In addition to being a museum about the railroad it's also a museum about how the railroad changed the West.

The drive to SF will be a challenge, however. Traffic will stink. Congestion is horrible during rush hour. Is there any way you could drop off the car later? That way you could leave Sacramento after rush hour and even have time for the Marin Headlands which are definitely worth a visit. And don't take the back roads, it'll be confusing and time consuming enough as is.

Actually, there's a lot of nice things in Sacramento and it has a very nice vibe, thank you very much. But it's hot here in the summer so take that into consideration, too. I didn't see when you're taking this trip.

I'm a vegetarian and there are plenty of vegetarian options especially since you'll have a car. You could stop in Placerville on your drive in and eat at Cascada. For Mexican in Sacramento I like Tres Hermanas and Zocalo (fewer vegetarian options at the second but what they have are good). Paisano is across the street from Zocalo and has good Italian food. There are plenty of good Thai restaurants but I can't think of their names.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for one night?

The problem with staying near Old Sac is that you are arriving after 8pm and need to leave before 9am so it's pretty much a ghost town at that time on a weeknight.

Personally, I would stick with your original plan.

I second Jamie's recommendations on Zocalo and Paesano's. They are at 18th and Capitol and are a couple of our favorites and have nice outdoor seating. Our favorite Thai restaurant in the world is at 12th and I. It's called Bangkok @12.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,070 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay for one night?

Agree with tripjunky. Since you're arriving by 9pm, Old Sacramento wouldn't work for you ---- it's a place (tending to "tourism") to wander and see museums and be by the river, etc. It can be a feast for the eyes in the daylight (and early evening) but it's not a "nightlife center." You've mentioned "vibes."

Quality Inn should work fine, in your demographic. (I'm a picky older lady who prefers inside corridors --- LOL). You'll have time to visit one of the excellent Midtown restaurants nearby, as soon as you arrive.

Personally, I'd get up early in the AM and have your continental breakfast and take a walk around the area (check out the historic Governor's Mansion on 16th and H --- as an example of old architecture, right in that neighborhood, as you're getting your exercise) ---- enjoy all the big shade trees (Sacramento, believe it or not, was once compared to Paris as "a city of trees" being flat and having a tons of very old shade trees) ---- and then get in your car and drive West.

If you have to return the car in the middle of SF by 11:45am, and your goal is the bridge and possibly the Headlands, get going by 7:30am. You'll run into traffic but that's a fact-of-life on the I-80 corridor between Sac and SF.

My backroads are a little south of Highway 37, so don't bother with them. You may get slowed down going through Vallejo but at least you're off I-80 as you come down the hill.

Best advice ----- enjoy your fun dinner in Midtown (wherever you choose, a short walk from your hotel). sleep a little, get up early and get on the road. With what you're trying to do, you may as well enjoy the journey from Sacramento through Vallejo and Novato and down through Marin County into San Francisco. If I were you, I'd give that morning journey 4 hours.

It's been fun helping you. So many travelers post and ask a question and never come back.

I love road trips! Have a good one.