We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American River Bike Trail Trip!

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
2 posts
Save Topic
American River Bike Trail Trip!

My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out how to take the bike trail to get to dinner. We were thinking we would walk from where it attaches to Howe avenue toward Discovery Park. Where should we get off the trail to get some food? We will probably be walking as he does not have a bike. Is this a viable plan, or is it really difficult to get into town from the trail? We are open to any kind of food; we like adventure!

Thanks for any ideas!

-Annie

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American River Bike Trail Trip!

That's a long hike from Howe Avenue to downtown Sacramento if that's where you are thinking of dining. There is a spot at Northrop where you can exit the trail near a Panera and La Bou. There is a Bucca di Beppo a couple blocks from there and a Red Lobster another block north of that.

Going the other way you will find the Rivers Edge Cafe just east of Watt at La Riviera.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,211 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American River Bike Trail Trip!

I don't understand the scheme here. You are going to walk all the way from Howe Ave. to downtown? It's a very long walk. How are you going to get back? You can't walk the trail in the dark, it's kind of dangerous.

Sacramento...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: American River Bike Trail Trip!

Thank you for your help! We haven't lived in the area very long, so we don't really know where stuff is. I was thinking of going in the direction of downtown (as opposed to toward Folsom), not necessarily all the way. Good to know there are some fun things the other way though; I'd be open to either direction. We've definitely taken it to Watt avenue before, I'll look for that café next time!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,211 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American River Bike Trail Trip!

There are actually quite a lot of dining options just off Howe. Walk through CSUS campus to the north along J street.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,118 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American River Bike Trail Trip!

AnnieJay --- I was a little worried about you guys also, since I used to bike that trail from downtown up to Watt Avenue where my parents lived so walking it seemed like a stretch. Plus, you live in Sacramento (which some of us don't, even though we used to) so you might end up being the best resource in walking and exploring the trail. You're local.

Suggestion: Can you rent bikes to do it together the first time, rather than a long walk not sure where you are going? As a single female biking that trail years ago, I can't imagine walking it myself if I wasn't already familiar with it. Or, even walking it with someone else (as you're planning on doing), being totally unfamiliar with it. It's not unsafe but there are stretches where you're out there in the middle of nowhere. Hope you're physically fit. That helps. I walked a mile of it with a friend a few months ago (where Arden Way goes to the river) and it was June ---- nobody around, except a bicyclist here and there. Pretty lonely out there. (No restaurants nearby either).

Also, definitely don't do it in the dark. You might want to take little pieces at a time.

I hope someone comes on who has done this. Also, since you just moved to town and you might do this more than once, can you please post here as to what you find, in order to help others? You would end up being the expert on it, for travelers who come in from elsewhere. Thanks.

6. Re: American River Bike Trail Trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 22, 2015