We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Driving route from Lake Tahoe to Sacramento in July

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Driving route from Lake Tahoe to Sacramento in July

Hi,

We have a day to spend around Lake Tahoe (Staying the night before in South LT) and then to get to Sacramento.

We will likely stay around LT in the morning and early afternoon but this is flexible.

What is the best driving route for this in terms of seeing the countryside and sights?

I guess there are a few options - US-50, US-88 or I-80.

Any thoughts.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,126 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Driving route from Lake Tahoe to Sacramento in July

it was not clear from your post if you are starting from SLT (you mention you are staying in SLT ) but if you are then 50 is the logical choice and imho the nicer of the two main roads 50 or 80 to Sacramento.

On the other hand if you have driven to the north and are near King's beach and closer to Truckee, then 80 makes more sense

FYI -- Most of the regulars will see both your posts on the CA sub forums so it is really not necessarily to post in two areas. Also I have not seen the DE for Lake Tahoe on the forums for almost a yeat.

Edited: 6:41 am, February 15, 2014
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Driving route from Lake Tahoe to Sacramento in July

Thanks for the fast response.

Yes - 50 seems the obvious choice and sounds like the best choice from what you say. I would have been prepared to use one of the other options had there been a strong reason to do so.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Driving route from Lake Tahoe to Sacramento in July

It sounds like you've already figured out that might be your only logical choice. The only reason to take the other two would be if you were on a road trip (Highway 88 --- quite scenic) or if you had some reason you needed to head to the north side of Tahoe --- then I-80 would work.

But, you pretty much answered your own question by the information you gave. Enjoy the ride down into the Valley on HIghway 50 though. It is the most direct but there are opportunities to stop along the way for some beautiful view points. Take your time and enjoy some the most spectacular scenery anywhere.

PS to belo (edit): The DE for Tahoe lives in Southern California now and has for a couple of years or so.

Edited: 11:17 pm, February 16, 2014
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Driving route from Lake Tahoe to Sacramento in July

oooops....I needed another edit. Belo...I thought you were talking about spotcat (who I know in person....she moved to So Cal) but I see suzie hasn't posted for months.

Good point. We in Sacramento often field questions from people who may be heading to Tahoe and using Sacramento as a launch point.

I'll write to TA staff on this. Doesn't look like anyone is holding down the fort now in Tahoe, in case our OP might need advice.

Let's PM on this. There seems to be a lapse as Tahoe is a prime tourist location in our nearby area. Thanks for noting it.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Driving route from Lake Tahoe to Sacramento in July

Hwy. 50 is the prettiest drive overall.

However, if you find yourself in the north Lake Tahoe area the drive over I-80 can have some pretty dramatic views too. Take the Donner Lake exit and drive the old Lincoln Hwy. over the summit to Soda Springs. It takes maybe an extra 15 minutes but gives you some amazing vistas. From there down to Sac is anticlimactic though.

6. Re: Best Driving route from Lake Tahoe to Sacramento in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 19, 2015