We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staycation Trip Report.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Staycation Trip Report.

So my wife's birthday is coming up and she didn't want to go far but wanted to be 'near the water' and didn't want to spend too many $$$, bless her soul. Hmmm....what to do, what to do, what to do?? Well, I was looking at Travelzoo.com and saw a deal at the Delta King. $99 for an upgraded room and breakfast for two. That fits the parameters; not far, near water and not too expensive.

Here's what we did.

Checked in Friday afternoon and went to Fat City for dinner. My wife's favorite place because they have good food and interesting east-meets-west type items on the menu. Plus, she loves the Victorian feel/ decor of the place. After dinner we walked Old Sacramento and browsed some of the shops...she just had to have those cute socks. The streets were a bit deserted at 9pm on Friday because it's Gold Rush Days and the streets are blocked off. So we made our way back to the Delta King Bar and Grill for dessert and to listen to the live music they have every Fri. and Sat. night. A very convenient spot since our river view room was only two doors away.

If you are not familiar with the Delta King it is a Sternwheel Riverboat that is permanently docked in Old Sac. It now houses a Hotel, Restaurant, Bar and Grill, Theater and banquet/ party facilities. The room was quite nice, albeit a bit small...but hey...it's a 90 year old boat! At least the AC worked well, we needed it as it was 95+ out. I loved the old toilet with the overhead tank and pull chain, and the shower was awesome. Breakfast was very good too. The dining room is on the elegant side of the scale with white linens, wine glasses and nice views of the river. It is a fun experience and the service was great.

As we step off the Delta King on Saturday morning we are transported into the Old West. It's Gold Rush Days in Old Sac! The streets are covered with dirt. There are horses and carriages and wagons and stagecoaches and gunslingers and barmaids and saloons and tents and bands and and and ... We take in some of the shows and watch some dancers and a demonstration of the Pony Express. Lots of fun.

Next stop is the Greek Festival for some Gyros and Baklava. This was taking place at the Convention Center. It's less than a mile from Old Sac and well worth the $5 admission. More music, more dancing, more food and more shopping. Music, dancing and shopping for my wife and the food for me ;-) It's late and we go back to our real home which is only 20 minutes away.

Sunday we do our 'normal' stuff then head back to Old Sac at 8pm for the outdoor movie on the lawn. It's John Wayne in Old California which takes place where? Where else but... Sacramento!!

All in all it is a very fun 'getaway', though we really didn't git very fer at all.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staycation Trip Report.

Sounds like a great time. Between Gold Rush Days and the Greek Festival that's quite a wander through cultures. Thank you!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,089 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staycation Trip Report.

thanks TJ. We'll keep that place in mind next time we need a nearcation.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staycation Trip Report.

Glad to read the report, I think that there are times that Sacramento gets the short stick as a place to visit. Lots of history and unique things in the state capital.

(Alas, if they could just get all the politicians and lobbyists from all sides of the spectrum out of there ;)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,346 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staycation Trip Report.

That is FABULOUS, tj. Sounds like you two had a great time and I'm so glad *somebody* made it down to the Gold Rush Days. I wanted to go so bad but little old mom is in the hospital in Carmichael and Old Sac was just too far away. I would have rather spent my week-end like you did.

By the way, as a note, little old mom (turned 93 in the hospital last week) cruised from Sac to SF and back (overnight trip) in 1932 with my grandmother. She still has fond memories of it and she and others who had sailed on the Delta King or gotten married on the boat (and other worthy events) were honored a few years back in a special anniversary celebration on the Delta King. The honorees told their stories --- living history of a special piece of Sacramento.

If ANYONE thinks that boat just sits there, the DK and its sister boat (Delta Queen) has a tremendous history (including how it was saved from being demolished and brought back to what we see today) that any week-end historian (or staycationer) would be fascinated by. You've just reminded me (and us) that the Delta King is more than just a place to go have a holiday dinner. They do a good job on Mother's Day and Thanksgiving, etc. (when we usually go) but your visit sounds infinitely more relaxing and interesting. Also, thanks for the report on the rooms.

Your mention of the Greek Festival brought some nostalgic moisture to my eyes. We used to go every year in the old days. Whew --- I remember the food as if it was yesterday. Gosh I'm hungry for dolma and moussaka (and just about everything else).

Thanks so much for sharing your special couple's week-end with us. Great report and good example of how many things there are to do and eat and enjoy in the Sacramento area. Love the last line...."git very fer". Keep up the excellent humor-laced writing!

Level Contributor
35,228 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staycation Trip Report.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! :)

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staycation Trip Report.

Thank you all for the kind words.

Sal, I love different cultures. That's why I love this forum. That's why I like Sacramento, it is so culturally diverse. Of the six houses that comprise my immediate neighbors there are 8 different cultures represented.

Belo, I've had many a 'nearcation' in your beautiful city, come out and return some of those tourist dollars.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staycation Trip Report.

DB, Yes we got the short straw. It's really too bad because there's so much history here and Sacramento really has a nice downtown. But alas, we are surrounded by San Francisco, Tahoe, Big Sur and Yosemite. I liken it to a grand old oak tree having the misfortune of growing in the midst a grove of sequoias. Its impressive in its own right but not when compared to its surroundings.

San Francisco has the Top of the Mark but what do we have... well...we have Mark Hopkins. He is buried in our Old City Cemetery and his hardware store still stands in Old Sacramento. But its not a big fancy tower on a hill.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staycation Trip Report.

DB, Yes we got the short straw. It's really too bad because there's so much history here and Sacramento really has a nice downtown. But alas, we are surrounded by San Francisco, Tahoe, Big Sur and Yosemite. I liken it to a grand old oak tree having the misfortune of growing in the midst a grove of sequoias. Its impressive in its own right but not when compared to its surroundings.

San Francisco has the Top of the Mark but what do we have... well...we have Mark Hopkins. He is buried in our Old City Cemetery and his hardware store still stands in Old Sacramento. But its not a big fancy tower on a hill.

Marly, Prayers are with you hope your mother's doing well. There's a book you may be interested in called king and queen of the river by Stan Garvey. It is a history of The Delta King and Queen.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,592 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staycation Trip Report.

Wow, that sounds like a fun weekend. And what a deal for the Delta King. :)

Since you've spent so much time in San Francisco, I guess we coastsiders do need to come and spend more time in Sacramento. Many Bay Area folks just pass through on the way to you-know-where. We all agree Sacramento deserves more notice for being an interesting place with an illustrious history and plenty to do.

marly, I hope little old mom is making a good recovery.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staycation Trip Report.

Sorry for the double post my android app is doing weird things.

Anyway, the Delta King has quite a history. Not only was it the luxury ship of its day, your mother cruised in style by the way, but it was used by the Navy. It sunk twice and was commandeered by pirates, sort of.