We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In search of wildflowers

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
14 posts
Save Topic
In search of wildflowers

My family and I live in Sacramento and would love to see wildflowers in full bloom this spring. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
6,744 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In search of wildflowers

A couple of years ago we saw a Huell Howser show on the Vernal Pools near Mather AFB and drove out there to see them. We were a little late in the season but it was still worth it.

http://www.vernalpools.org/mather.htm

Here's some other recommendations from the SacBee:

sacbee.com/2012/05/04/4466981/best-bets-for-…

Also, for a full day outing, consider the Sutter Buttes:

www.middlemountain.org/body/hikes/index.html

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In search of wildflowers

Not so much wildflowers but Daffodils. You need to think about going soon though.

suttercreek.org/sutter-creek-events-daffodil…

Also Table Mountain for later this spring:

dfg.ca.gov/lands/er/region2/northtable.html

Edited: 4:51 pm, February 19, 2013
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: In search of wildflowers

Thank you!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
13,622 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In search of wildflowers

What a lovely subject heading. Made me smile.

If you haven't been to Daffodil Hill, definitely see the link suzie gave you and don't miss it. We used to go every year, many years back, and looked forward to it year after year. It's not wildflowers, as the family acreage has been planted with the bulbs but the flowers are beautiful and you're likely to see wildflowers along the roads also. If you are a photographer, you will have many opportunities.

Also, Supercilious reminded me that we drove down to Lancaster, California a few years back to see the acres of poppy fields, after watching one of Huell Howser's "California Gold" pieces on TV. Hearing he had died last month, it made me sad as he was a true ambassador for the people, the scenery, the flora and fauna of the backroads of California.

One place I always recommend for people interested in plants/flowers (though it is not wildflowers either, as Daffodil Hill isn't) is the historic Old City Cemetery on 10th and Broadway. I haven't been there for a couple of years but, in the past, the volunteers have turned it into an arboretum, where floral life abounds amidst a reminder of Sacramento's past.

Can you let us know if you go to any of these places and if the flowers were in bloom? Sometimes it's difficult to catch "full bloom" either out on the roads or even in a place like Daffodil Hill. I went to the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC last year and the blooms were already gone (but the formal festival was still ongoing), so you sometimes need to catch these blooming cycles very quickly.

Enjoy.

14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: In search of wildflowers

Thank you all again! And yes, I will post where we went, when and whether the flowers were in full bloom:) I should have mentioned we have a 15 month old so I'm thinking Daffodil Hill is a must but other longer hikes, etc might not work for us right now. But I will definitely be bookmarking these sites for future years when our children are older! Oh and we live in Land Park not far from the cemetery...I would walk it when I was pregnant, it is a beautiful and serene place. I'm excited about seeing flowers this spring! Thanks again!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
13,622 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In search of wildflowers

jlg --- you live in a beautiful section of Sacramento. I remember trips to see my aunt in Land Park many years ago, on a Sunday. We lived in NE Sac and I remember many beautiful front gardens, in the Land Park area. I bet your young child enjoys learning to walk and run and explore, in that beautiful area. Nice reminder that you don't have to get too far from home to enjoy nature.

Also, I haven't checked out the latest issue of Sunset Magazine (my subscription expired last year) but when you're going through the grocery store line, the ones in February and March frequently feature drives with Spring flora. They have a website also but it's often so much more fun to just grab the paper magazine.

Have fun on your jaunts. The Gold Country (Daffodil Hill, etc.) is a must-do.

7. Re: In search of wildflowers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 23, 2014