We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Old Town, Downtown and Midtown all the same area?

California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Old Town, Downtown and Midtown all the same area?

Hi there!

We'll be passing through Sacramento with a one night stay.

It's been awhile since we've visited and we remember the wharf area and the railroad museum. (fun!!)

I've been reading the hotel reviews and while some indicate they are near downtown, some reviewers have pointed out that they are too far to actually walk to downtown, or the area is sketchy?

I've also read references to "old town, downtown, and midtown". Different areas? Side by side? I'd be most grateful for some clarification. :)

Are there places in all or one of these areas where it's safe to walk around at night with restaurants and maybe cafe style outside seating?

We're also planning to take a bike ride on the river path, I think this is also close to the downtown, old town, midtown areas?

Thank you very much for any advice! :)

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,603 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Old Town, Downtown and Midtown all the same area?

Yes, these are different areas.

If you look at a map of Sacramento, Old Town is the area directly west of I-5 - those few blocks between I-5 and the river. Downtown is east of I-5, roughly the are between I-5 and the Capitol. Then Midtown is the next neighborhood to the east, roughly between the Capitol and I-80 Business (aka Capitol City Freeway).

Google Maps has these neighborhoods labeled, so you can check that out.

Midtown is my favorite area of Sacramento - mix of residential and commercial with a lot of independent restaurants. It is a cool area. Definitely walkable and I wouldn't hesitate to walk around there in the evenings - probably not super late, but evenings and early night definitely.

Downtown is hit and miss - some areas a are great, some sketchy.

Old Town, no problem walking around at night as long as the restaurants and things are still open.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,596 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Old Town, Downtown and Midtown all the same area?

I think the "answer" needs to ask you to consider Sac public transit. I've dealt with a similar dilemma that you're dealing with.

Be sure and check area "maps" if you're talkIng Priceline and/or Hotwire. Regardless, I'd say check *exact* addresses (if possible) and transit options. Being in the outlier edge of some areas you're talking about could be worse (or better) than others.

All that said, if they don't use the neighborhood name you want (and even if they do), be certain *exactly* where they are before you book (if possible).

Thats's my $.02,

hlo

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Old Town, Downtown and Midtown all the same area?

Going from east to west, you have East Sac, Mid-Town, Down Town, then Old Sac. They are not the same, but next to each other.

California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Old Town, Downtown and Midtown all the same area?

Thanks for the replies...

I'm looking at a google map, and looking at the pinpont redballon that says "A" on the map on 1st and 9th. A little further down the map I see what looks like a huge park off L Street and 10th. I'm assuming it's near the Capital? Last time we were in town, we also took a tour of the Capital and I remember feeding the squirrels in the park. :)

I'm seeing Midtown just a little further south and to the east near N Street and 19th. I think this is the area I'm most interested in exploring.

Does anyone know of a hotel, motel B&B within this Midtown area?

Downtown areas in some cities can be tricky...hubby and I went to an event in downtown LA once and there were plenty of people and traffic there, but when we were trying to find our way to the freeway, a signpost was either knocked by a car, or maybe intentionally turned, I dunno, but within 2 blocks of going down the wrong street, we were in very scary territory. Deserted, bars on windows, papers and trash blowing around with a few scary dudes shuffling around. We thought we were in Zombie Land! Eek! We made a quick U-turn and peeled out of there double quick!

We also made the mistake some years ago of randomly stopping for an overnight in Stockton without knowing where we were. We survived the night, but learned our lesson to do a little more research!!! :P

So any places so scary in Sacramento to absolutely avoid?

Thanks for your help! :)

Edited: 12:04 am, October 08, 2012
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Old Town, Downtown and Midtown all the same area?

Downtown Sac is not scary. After hours there are much less people but just quiet. Mid town is a vibrant area with lots of restaurants and people walking around. Old Sac is much more touristy with some bars and some restaurants. The huge park you see on L and 10th (between 10th and 15th) is the Capitol Park. It's one of the safest area in Sac, patrolled by it's own police force (the Capitol Police) to protect all our legislators. There are plenty of hotels in the mid town and downtown area (all those legislators and staff etc need places to stay). Personally I like the Sterling Hotel. A smaller historical hotel. If you want bigger national chains you may want to look at the Hyatt Regency or the Sheraton Grand.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,603 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Old Town, Downtown and Midtown all the same area?

Don't worry about downtown - not scary at all. There are some blocks that get very deserted in the evenings, at night, and on weekends just because the businesses there are only open during the day time.

In the midtown/Capitol area, I have stayed at the Hyatt, Sheraton, and the Marriott Residence Inn - all good places to stay.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Old Town, Downtown and Midtown all the same area?

You'll have to look for hotels, most of which are downtown or in outlying areas. I think when people say far to walk downtown, they mean to restaurants, converntions, etc., near K St., the Capitol, etc. To some, downtown is a small, central area. Old Town is the small area where part of Sacramento as it looked in the 1860s, or so, was recreated (well, to some degree). We've stayed at the Delta King riverboat hotel docked in Old Sac (so-so), at the Hyatt Regency downtown (very nice), at Le Rivage, along the Sacramento River a bit south of the downtown area, and in outlying areas. I seen mention of any hotel in the midtown area, which is principally residential, with some smaller business areas, but I'm sure there are some B&Bs there.

With only one night, I'd probably suggest downtown or Old Town, but would first want to know what time of year, and what your interests, and budget, are.

Edited: 1:06 pm, October 08, 2012
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,808 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Old Town, Downtown and Midtown all the same area?

>> We're also planning to take a bike ride on the river path, I think this is also close to the downtown, old town, midtown areas? <<

The river path, that's Old Town Sacramento. Doing this during that day is okay. But not advisable after dark. Lots of home-less living along the bike path, Discovery Park and the stretch of dense trees a couple of miles around that area.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Old Town, Downtown and Midtown all the same area?

American River Parkway is 23 miles long. sacbee.com/2010/04/28/2716276/interactive-gu…

Sacramento...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Old Town, Downtown and Midtown all the same area?

Midtown Sacramento is located from 15th Street to Alhambra and C Street to W Street. Although J,K,L & Capitol are the major corridors for nightlife and hospitality.

The most convenient hotel for visiting Midtown, while still getting the Capitol View is the Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park. You can easily get to just about anywhere in Midtown from there. If you are looking for restaurants, shopping, bars, events or other entertainment in Midtown check out www.exploremidtown.org.