We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap hotel/motel on route from San Francisco to Sacramento

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
9 posts
Save Topic
Cheap hotel/motel on route from San Francisco to Sacramento

What inexpensive hotel/motel can you recommend on Rt 101 N. We are arriving to San Francisco late at night are driving to Sacramento. Please advise of any hotels/motels in the area ?

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cheap hotel/motel on route from San Francisco to Sacramento

This question is not as easy as it first appears; depends on day & time of arrival. Being a "Bay Area Traffic Drives me nuts" guy, my first piece of advice is to get on the other side of San Francisco Bay at night when you arrive. Two ways to go:

1) 101 to 80 and north on 80. Look for some place in Berkeley, Emeryville, or further north. Take 80 to Sacto.

2) 92 across San Matao Bridge to 880 to 580 east. Stay in Castro Valley, Dublin, or Livermore.

My preference would be #2; it more or less gets you past Bay area traffic. Take 580 to 205 to 5 to Sacto.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,529 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cheap hotel/motel on route from San Francisco to Sacramento

How about flying directly to Sacramento, thus avoiding SFO altogether?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cheap hotel/motel on route from San Francisco to Sacramento

For heaven's sake. !!

Just google "San Francisco airport hotels". You will get a long list. Choose one which is affordable to you. Most have shuttles from the airport. Choose one of those and the next morning take the shuttle back to the airport to pick up the car I assume your are renting. No need to make this a difficult thing.

Don't try to find a hotel on the way to Sacramento after a long flight.

(ThanksSS.....flights from New Jersey to Sacramento are usually more expensive and less convenient, because of stops, than flights to SFO.)

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,529 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cheap hotel/motel on route from San Francisco to Sacramento

I just checked Kayak and found flights from EWR to SFO about $100 more expensive than from EWR to SMF, both with one stop. But I don't know what OP's plan is.

LA
Level Contributor
9,627 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Cheap hotel/motel on route from San Francisco to Sacramento

Don't stay in Vallejo, either.

16. Re: Cheap hotel/motel on route from San Francisco to Sacramento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 09, 2013