We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussies driving from San Fran to Verdi-where to stop

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
218 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Aussies driving from San Fran to Verdi-where to stop

Hi, we are a family from Australia driving from San Francisco to Verdi (yes, hubby wants to visit Cabelas). I know it is roughly a 4 hour drive, but where would be a really nice half way stop on the way,maybe for lunch or sightseeing. I know looking at the map Sacramento is about half way, we are note huge city fancs but is there anything scenic or any quaint towns we could drive through and stop for lunch along the way?? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Aussies driving from San Fran to Verdi-where to stop

But Auburn's quaint and Awful Annie's is good, and there are several other restaurants in that area, plus it's easier to get back on I-80 than Old Sac. It will all depend on how long you want to dawdle before you head for Verdi. Hopefully, you're going to Verdi for something besides Cabella's, unless your desination is more like Reno or Tahoe! Re the Aussie question - maybe they just want us to feel sorry for the long flights they have to endure to get here.

Davis, California
Level Contributor
349 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Aussies driving from San Fran to Verdi-where to stop

I'd recommend stopping in Sacramento. In addition to OldSac, the capital is kinda nice to see.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Aussies driving from San Fran to Verdi-where to stop

If you want to take the time to visit the capital of California' then Sacramento.

If you want a gold rush town full of history and near the freeway, then Auburn.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Aussies driving from San Fran to Verdi-where to stop

We dont have a great deal of time, so Auburn is sounding more the go. Its smaller and located conveniently on the freeway.Thank you everyone looking forward to our stop there, cheers.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Aussies driving from San Fran to Verdi-where to stop

You're in for a pretty drive. I'm not a fan of Cabela's, but have been to their store in Verdi. It's beautiful & interesting! Verdi is scenic too.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Aussies driving from San Fran to Verdi-where to stop

Have a nice trip. Wave at the stuffed animals for me. They blew my mind.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,623 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Aussies driving from San Fran to Verdi-where to stop

Cabellas is great. If you are into their type of products you could spend a whole day in that store. Not to confuse you, but there is an even bigger store of this type not too much further east in Sparks. Scheels has more to see and do over Cabellas.

http://www.scheelssports.com/

Also a third store of this type is located in Manteca, which is a little out of your way on to Verdi, but you could do this one also. Bass Pro Shops in Manteca.

http://www.basspro.com/

I have been to all three of these places (many times), and to me Scheels is the most impressive.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Aussies driving from San Fran to Verdi-where to stop

OMG.....I had better delete your response before my husband sees it...LOL!!!

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Aussies driving from San Fran to Verdi-where to stop

Here's my tip: Scheel's has lots of cute clothes for us wives in the fact that there is a wonderful outlet mall at Scheel's with lots of great clothing stores for YOU! Google "Outlets @ Legends". As a matter of fact, I would 'encourage' him to skip Cabela's & just go to Scheel's. It has everything (and more) that Cabela's has AND it's twice as big. Yes, it has the stuffed critters, poor things! There's even a Ferris Wheel in the middle of the store! Tell him how happy YOU would be to go to Scheel's and after all 'a happy wife equals a happy life'. LOL

Edited: 4:07 pm, July 15, 2012
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Aussies driving from San Fran to Verdi-where to stop

Stormy - this trip was last month. If you look at the original date this topic is from March. You might want to look for more recent topics to comment on.