We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amtrak station

Middlebury, Vermont
1 post
Save Topic
amtrak station

we're taking the train from the East and looking for a hotel near the station for an overnight before getting an rv for a two week tour. Any suggestions?

Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amtrak station

Closest to Amtrak is the Vagabond Inn Executive- Old Sacramento, followed by the Holiday Inn- Capitol Plaza. The Vagabond is the lesser priced alternative of these two.

Stepping up in class, but not walkable, are the Hyatt, Citizen Hotel, Embassy Suites, Sheraton and Inn offf Capitol Park. These are hotels with varying levels of service and amenities, of which you will pay up for. What you need is your decision.

Further away, but not that far, the Holiday Inn Express and Clarion Mansion, both near 16th Street, offer decent value, good clean lodging and in-town convenience.

Now, if it were me, after a x-country train ride, and facing two weeks in an RV, I'd want as many nice conveniences as possible. (just me), I'd go with the good stuff, meaning Embassy Suites(indoor pool) or Hyatt. Your budget and needs will dictate where you end up. Have fun, D

Mentioned in this post
Capitol Park
Capitol Park
443 Reviews
Sacramento, CA
Martinez, California
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: amtrak station

I need to get from the Sacramento Amtrak Station to the Cal Expo. What kind of transportation options do i have?

Edited: 7:43 pm, September 23, 2011
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,779 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: amtrak station

1. You can take a taxi there.

2. If you want to go by bus/light rail... need one transfer. It takes a little while.

2a. Walk a few blocks to K Street and 8th Street. Take the light rail to Arden/Del Paso station.

2b. Transfer to the 22 bus. Get off at Arden Fair Mall. Then walk the rest to Cal Expo. (about 1/3 mile).

http://www.sacrt.com/systemmap/central.stm

www.sacrt.com/schedules/current/maps/R029.gif

www.sacrt.com/schedules/current/routes.stm

(Click on the route number "22" to see the schedule. Very infrequent. About one bus per hour.)

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,521 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: amtrak station

Light rail now goes all the way to the Amtrak station, so no need to walk anywhere.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,779 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: amtrak station

Oh.... that's cool!

Sacramento CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: amtrak station

Do not forget the Delta King Hotel. Spend the night on a river boat, in restored state rooms. A really cool place to sleep. And, they will shuttle you to AMTRAK.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: amtrak station

The original post was from February. They've likely come and gone.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: amtrak station

It has been my experience that all Vagabond Inns are Dumps of the worst kind.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: amtrak station

Are you familiar with the one in Sacramento? Or you just tar them all with the same brush?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: amtrak station

Not Exactly Suze as I checked in & out in about 10 minutes.